Menu
RonnyBooth
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Keeping home phone number

Hi folks, just wondered if this story sounds familiar to anyone else here?: I recently moved home and took my Virgin services with me. Broadband and TV were set up fine by the engineer on the agreed date, but the phone hadn't been factored in to the move. It only took him 10 minutes to set it up at the junction box, but it turned out (after an oddly quiet week) that my old phone number hadn't been ported across to the new address.

Apparently that should have been sorted out by the customer services operator when I first organised the move. (She was so busy trying to push Virgin Mobile and finding out the name of the people moving into my old place perhaps it slipped her mind...) I only found out when a family member emailed to say they couldn't get through to me on the usual number.

It's taken me two attempts and over two hours on the phone to get through to customer services and get this sorted (apparently this'll be fixed within 8 working days, we'll see).

Surely it's common sense for your number to stay the same when you move and choose to take Virgin with you? But maybe for some odd reason you need to specifically request that?

Has anyone else had experience of this, or is it just me? Cheers, Ron

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Keeping home phone number

Hi Ron

I appreciate you getting in touch and thanks for letting us know the port was not arranged.

My apologies about that.

All customers are automatically assigned a new Virgin Media number unless they request a Number Port when they are speaking to our Sales teams at the point of set up. This is something our agents usually ask new customers so it appears they have missed this as an oversight and I am sorry that this has caused you any inconvenience.

However, upon checking this it appears the number you had with tour previous provider is not compatible with the network switch connected to your home.

In this situation the number port will be rejected as the number range you are looking to port does not work on our network switches connected to the cabinet that services your home.

My apoloigies but this means you cannot transfer the number to your Virgin Media landline.

At this point you can either:

• Accept the new number Virgin Media has provided.
  • Request an alternative free number change from us which I can arrange (but not the number you had with your other provider)
  • Or cancel the services within your Right To Cancel if you desperately need the original number connected.
  • Additionally you would need to arrange to cancel the landline with your previous provider if this is still active if you do choose to stay with us as the port would have closed this but if we cannot port this, this will not close via our request.

Please let us know what you would like to do. I'm here to help.

Take care.

Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
RonnyBooth
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Karen, Thank you for your reply and sorry I missed your call earlier.

The thing is, Virgin Media was my previous provider! It is the number from my old Virgin phone that we need ported over. It sounds like you're saying that this old  number won't work in the new house because of the switches/cabinets supplying the new line, but that sounds very odd. To be clear, the old line was with Virgin, so the number should be yours to allocate/re-allocate - surely that's reasonable.

If you see this would you have a moment to call me back, so we can resolve please?

Thanks for your help with this Karen!

Grant

0 Kudos
cathyjay1
Tuning in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I have just moved and i requested that my old number was retained but apparently I couldn't keep mine either and this new number is nothing like my old number I have moved 3 miles. I'm so annoyed I'm disabled I don't have a mobile so I will have to notify everyone, Moving is stressful enough without all this worry without new phone numbers double bills that you can't afford, admin fees, and being bound to new contracts to be fair I just want out had enough I had to move because of my disabilities, I had no choice and now I've got this mess to sort out.  

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi cathyjay1, 

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear we were unable to transfer your phone number. 

Whilst we make every effort to do it, it's not always possible. 

If you are unhappy and wish to leave, you will need to speak to the team on 150 / 0345 454 1111. They can go through the cancellations process with you. 

Apologies once again. 

Kath_F
Forum Team

Wishing you a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos