Menu
squonk
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

How long should landline porting take?

Hi all, 

I've recently moved home and as it already had virgin media I decided to sign up for a vm package including landline. I wanted to keep the existing number and was told that was ok, but I would get a temporary number for 10 days. My package was activated just over 2 weeks ago but have heard nothing about getting the previous number back. I've tried calling customer services several times to find out what is happening but can't spend the rest of my life being put  on hold... Smiley Tongue I

My question is... is this a normal length of time to wait or should it have happened by now?

Thanks 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: How long should landline porting take?

Hello squonk,

Thanks for posting and welcome to our community. Apologies you’ve not heard anything about your number port. Our number port process normally takes 10 working days for the number to be successfully ported across to us from your old provider.

You're normally given a date when you temporary virgin number will stop working and your original number you having requested takes over.

We have to ask, do you have your phone plugged in to the new Virgin Media socket? I know it sounds like a daft question but sometimes you can leave your phone plugged in to the old provider’s socket.

Can you check this for us and let us know.

Thanks Jodi.

0 Kudos
squonk
Joining in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jodi,

Thanks for the reply. The phone is plugged into the hub and all was working fine on our temporary number until this morning. It appears that we now have the old number back but although we can make outgoing calls we cannot receive incoming calls. I have spoken to customer services and they assure me that the porting will be completed and all will be working by the end of the day. It appears that we have still have both numbers registered on our phone.

Fingers crossed...

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Great news squonk,

Many thanks for coming back to me with the update. We normally say up to midnight for the porting to be closed successfully.

Keep us posted and let us know how you get on. 

Have a lovely afternoon.

Jodi 

0 Kudos
squonk
Joining in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jodi,

Still having the same problem despite being promised that it will all be sorted out yesterday. Not sure why it's taking so long as it is a virgin number that's being ported ...

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi squonk. 

I've been able to locate the account with your forum details - and can confirm that the issue has been raised with the relevant team who are working to resolve this for you.

I'm sorry for the delay, and that I can't provide a specific time-scale at this stage, but if there's been no progress in the next 48hrs please get back to us so we can take another look. 

Tom

0 Kudos
squonk
Joining in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Tom,

I have been in contact with customer services and they also told me they need 48 hours, although I consider that to be an excessive amount of time TBH... considering it was a working virgin number before I signed up for my package

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

It's far from ideal squonk, sorry again for any inconvenience & frustration caused - hopefully it will be resolved sooner than anticipated. Rest assured credits will be applied automatically to cover loss of service based on these guidelines: https://virginmedia.com/Ofcom

Please keep us posted if you can.

Tom

0 Kudos
squonk
Joining in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Tom,

I will update you further if and when I hear anything
0 Kudos
squonk
Joining in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Ok, well we are now into the 4th day of not being able to receive calls and it's getting beyond a joke now. Porting an old number is obviously too technical for VM so I'm reluctantly going to ask for a new permanent number, but as usual it's taking forever to get through to customer services...

0 Kudos