Menu
matteoicardi
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Fritz!Box landline cable

Hello
I have a Virgin hub 3.0 (modem mode) and a fritzbox 7590 connected to it and it works perfectly.

Now I am trying to make it work also with the landline number. I have a  BT-type socket and I tried to connect it to the adsl port in the fritzbox and activate the landline number but no outgoing and incoming calls work.
which kind of cable do I need to connect the fritzbox to the Virgin landline socket?

I tried the same with a Fritz!Box 7390 and it was ringing continuously most of the time even if at some point it did work for a few days.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Fritz!Box landline cable

You won't be able to get anything but voice traffic on a Virgin Landline. Its not connected to a BT exchange. Virgin is DOCSIS Cable Broadband which only uses the coax cable. It is also a closed network, so you can only use Virgin's modem. You will only be able to use the Frizbox as a router.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
matteoicardi
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the quick reply! that's fine, I don't need anything more than voice now.

I am already using the VirginHub as a modem to provide the fritzbox with internet connection and use it as a router. This gives me all the nice features of fritzbox such as wifi (of course), voip, media server, etc...

However the fritzbox, even when used as a router, has the port labelled as "DSL" available for incoming landline (voice only) connection. I was using it in other countries so I know for sure that it can work. Basically I was connecting a RJ11 voice-only cable to the DSL (RJ45) fritzbox port. The only problem here, I guess, is the type of cable and wiring needed, as the Virgin phone socket looks like a BT-type socket. tried with a standard BT-to-RJ11 cable but it's not working

0 Kudos
matteoicardi
Joining in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

solved it! had to check the wiring scheme of the fritzbox cable and reproduce it for a BT-type cable. now it works perfectly!

0 Kudos