Menu
vmsdrb59
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Disappointing Phone Installation & Broken External Box

We had Virgin TV, Broadband & phone installed today after recently moving house. We used to have it in our previous home but our installation experience this time was very poor compared to last time.

The engineer told us we had no choice where the phone point could be installed unless we were prepared to pay extra for an extension. So we reluctantly had to have the phone point installed in the corner behind the TV. The engineer did this using a grubby pair of latex gloves which left the box filthy & sticky (we know this because he left the filthy gloves in the rubbish he left behind). We'll clean up the box and install our own phone extension but why has Virgin taken such a backward step in this - I mean, how many people have their phone behind the TV?

Compared to the installation when we had Virgin at our previous home, the whole experience was in hindsight very poor. We were decorating & also looking after our granddaughter so left the engineer to his own devices thinking the result would be as good as the last time - sadly, this wasn't the case. 

We'd expected a new cable to be routed into the house but the engineer used an old Telewest cable for the incoming feed which came up through the floor (we thought this was a dead cable left by the previous owner) and he left us with a jumbled mess of cables behind the TV to sort out. Nothing like as neat & tidy as our previous installation.

After the engineer had gone, I decided to investigate where this mysterious Telewest cable entered the house. Outside, I found 2 wires with connectors which went through the back plate of what looks like the normal external Virgin brown plastic box - but there isn't a cover. Instead, the engineer had propped a couple of bricks against the cables & wall. How on earth could anyone think this was acceptable? Surely the connectors & cables exposed to the weather will get damaged or fail? Our previous installation had the wires neatly connected into fixed points in a brown box on the wall with a cover giving full protection from the rain etc.

So, how do we get Virgin to fix/replace this external box or send us a replacement to sort it ourselves?

Thanks in advance

Stephen

Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Disappointing Phone Installation & Broken External Box

dont know about the phone point - i dont think what he said ws true - who got the money if you decided to pay extra is the question i would ask

using the old cable - again not as i would expect but nothing wrong if it works 

a couple of bricks instead of a cover - well thats new 

lets flag this and i am sure the staff here will get a tech out to sort it

@ModTeam - with a question - this looks like a tech on the make and a lazy one at that - can someone comment and get it sorted please - or to be generous is there now a policy to charge for extra wire

Tony
vmsdrb59
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Tony. I'll look forward to hearing what the Mod team has to say.

Steve

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi vmsdrb59, 

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear about the installation not being up to the usual standards. 

Using an existing cable is not that rare. In fact it is more common to use an existing cable that to not use it. We would only replace the cable if it didn't work. 

As for the telephone line, on occasions it's not possible to move the box to where you want it but the engineer should of discussed an alternative route for you. 

We can certainly get this raised to the relevant teams to take a look but I will need some information from you first. 

I have sent you a private message. Just click on the little plum envelope at the top right hand side of the page to access your inbox.
Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Wishing you a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
vmsdrb59
Tuning in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

UPDATE

Just had a surprise visit from a Virgin engineer who'd come to sort the problems out - didn't know he was coming so lucky we were in.

Anyway, he very quickly sorted the phone point position by putting in a simple extension and second box.

He then equally quickly sorted the outside wires being exposed by fitting a new box cover so the cables and connectors are now fully protected as they should be.

The engineer's name was Bobby and he did a great job so a very big thanks to him and to Kath for presumably triggering the visit.

All large companies have problems sometimes but what sets one apart from the rest is how they deal with those problems. In this instance, the service has been brilliant and has certainly restored my faith in Virgin Media.

Many thanks once again. A very Happy Christmas to everyone and all the best for a great 2019!

Stephen

0 Kudos