cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deactivate Voicemail on Landline

BobC765
Tuning in

Why is it so difficult to deactivate voicemail on a landline? Activation can be done online, why not deactivation? It appears I must dial the dreadful 150, which then gives me loads of options, none of which are relevant.

Also why was voicemail activated when we moved house - is wasn't active before, so why was it thought we would want afterwards?

Bob

141 REPLIES 141

Collette_O
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi BobC765,

Thanks for coming by and welcome to the community. 🙂

As Voicemail is Free it is added automatically into your Telephone service.  I will be happy to help look into removing this for you.  I will send you a private message requesting some details.  Look for the purple envelope icon above.

Collette.

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

Dear Collette

Thank you for your offer of help, but help should not be necessary - it must be relatively easy to allow customers to switch voicemail off themselves. Then Virgin would never have to handle questions like this again, assuming the how-to information is made easily accessible (currently I couldn't find any documentation except through similar 'contact me offline' messages in the forum).

Just because something is free doesn't mean it is useful or desirable - in our case we have our own answering machine, and we had assumed that this was handling calls, so we never thought of looking for the voicemail. Consequently we missed several important messages that callers had assumed that we had received. Thus the 'free' addition was a major disadvantage for us.

Regards

Bob

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

For some reason VM have changed the options when you join to "Default On" instead of "Default Off". However, the option has never been available for the customer to switch these services due to the complexity if all the different exchanges that VM inherited from its many predecessors. To this day there are still some phone options available to customers in some areas but not others.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

can you please deactivate my voicemail on landline - its causing me no end of problems and I will cancel my Virgin contract if it continues. 

Craig_D
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Charl2

I just wanted to let you know that I've responded to the thread you've created regarding this issue, which you  can view by [clicking here]

Take care

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Please can you de-activate my voicemail.

Collette_O
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi rob498,

Welcome to the community.

I can see that you have already contacted us regarding this so I hope all is ok now for you.

Collette.

chrishenson
Joining in

Yes can you remove my answerphone service as well pls 🙂

Collette_O
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi chrishenson,

Welcome to the community to you also.

I will have a look at this for you.  I wasn't able to locate your account so I will request some details in a private message.  

Look for the purple envelope icon above.

Collette.