Menu
Highlighted
RonLee
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Charged for calls I didn't make

My latest bill - phone, internet and TV - was nearly £20 more than usual.

The extra was for 4 calls to 0749, 0871 and 0872 numbers.

I dialled these numbers and received a "number not recognised" message for all of them.

Virgin say the calls were made from my phone but as I am the only user i know they were not. Virgin offered to send an engineer to check my phone saying if he found I had not made the calls the charges would be removed. if the calls had been from my phone I would have a £99 charge to pay.

If the engineer can interrogate my handset he will not find the calls but if someone has gained access to my line I risk a bill of £99.

Comments and advice very welcome.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Charged for calls I didn't make

Hello RonLee,

Welcome to our community forums, I am sorry to hear that this has happened, I am going to send you a private message, If you can reply that will be brilliant.

Thanks Joe_F

0 Kudos
HiNtZ
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Same for me - phone hasn't worked since it was installed with BB in December yet I have itemised on my bill phone calls to the USA and other local numbers!

How can I make calls on a line that has no dial tone? I wasn't even here on the dates the charges are from!

I didn't bother sorting out the dial tone issue because I don't want the phone line anyway, I only took it to make the BB cheaper.

Virgin Media are telling me there are no problems and the engineer that came said he had to go to the box to check something and never returned....

I'm cancelling the direct debit at bank level and initiating a private prosecution against VM for slapping me up with charges for calls I couldn't physically make if I wanted to. This will be purely for amusement purposes watching VM's legal team explain in court how this has happened, especially after I provide 5 independent witnesses to the phone not working, plus 24/7 CCTV footage of the property where the phone is, oh and not to mention the fact I wasn't even in the country when these calls were made.

Good luck VM, you're going to need it Smiley Wink

p.s I'm on the phone to the regulator now.

0 Kudos
HiNtZ
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Well well well, I've done a little bit of super sleuthing - I have found the person who I have crossed lines with. Turns out it is my neighbour 5 doors down....

How did I find this out? Well, I'll let the ICO decide on that one!

Big fines coming for VM under GDPR 2018 hahaha 

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Kaz_A
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi HiNtZ

I appreciate you taking the time to get in touch with us about the issues with your landline.

I can see you have taken steps to report this.

I'd be happy to help in whatever way we can if you are happy for us to do so?

Can you please pop back to me via the PM I have sent to you so I can then look into this further.

Kindest regards.

Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Kaz_A
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi HiNtZ

Just catching up to see if you would like support from the forums on this,

If so please pop back to me on the forums on the Pm I sent last Thursday.

Kind regards

Kaz

Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos