Menu
Highlighted
Carstairs47
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Can't receive calls on Virgin landline (but can make outgoing calls)

Since renewing my Virgin contract 2 days ago, my home phone won't receive calls. Anyone calling my number hears a 'dead' tone. I can make outgoing calls fine.

I've contacted the faults team via 150 - they say it's because of having my number ported from an old provider, but I didn't bring my former number with me. I've also been with Virgin for around 3 years now, and the line's been fine all this time. The faults team said someone would call me within 4 hours, but that's come and gone (and, of course, my phone doesn't accept incoming calls!).

I've run the online diagnostic test and it just says "inconclusive". How can I get Virgin to actually investigate the fault? It's frustrating that I wanted to cancel my phone line, but was persuaded to pay a few more pounds to keep it intact - yet it doesn't work!

0 Kudos
nick_london
Superfast
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Can't receive calls on Virgin landline (but can make outgoing calls)

Hi

When you call your mobile from the landline, does your number show up or is it a number you don’t recognise? This could be a crossed line.

Someone may have ported a number in error.

0 Kudos
Carstairs47
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the suggestion - yes, my number shows up, the same as usual. Nothing (that I can tell) is different, except that inbound callers hear a disconnected tone and I don't receive the call.

0 Kudos
Carstairs47
Joining in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I managed to get through the faults team again, and they still say it's a porting issue, but I'm clueless why this should have happened after 3 years. They say (again) they're going to call me back, so hopefully this time they will.

0 Kudos
nick_london
Superfast
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I think someone has tried to port in a number and put yours down in error. Is your telephone number ported in from another provider?

0 Kudos
Carstairs47
Joining in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Ah, I've checked my old bills and yes, I did move my number to Virgin from another provider (3 years ago). How do I get Virgin to correct the error, however it's come about? The faults team said they'd call me yesterday but (once again) haven't.

0 Kudos
Carstairs47
Joining in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

In light of your post I've contacted my former provider too. Unsurprisingly, they say it's only something Virgin can rectify, but Virgin won't do anything (not sure how that's allowed if it's a service I'm paying for?).

0 Kudos
Carstairs47
Joining in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Still not receiving incoming calls. I've contacted Virgin (150) several times now: they keep saying they'll call me back to discuss the fault / solution, but don't contact me.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi there Carstairs47, 

Thanks for your post - I am sorry that you're having some issues with incoming calls at the moment.

I've not been able to locate your account from your Forum information so I have popped you a Private Message - please look out for the purple envelope and pop me a reply when you can Smiley Happy 

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos