Menu
docgyneco
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Bogus Daily Landline Phone Charges to 0845 for weeks even when the house is empty!

Checking our latest bill while on holidays abroad I noticed daily 10p charges for calls to a 0845 number. Although we are abroad on holidays and the house is empty, we have been billed for calling this number from our Virgin landline at 11:40PM every single day !

I checked our previous Virgin bills and discovered this scam has been going on for weeks! Adding 3 or 4 pounds to our bills every month.

The number we mysteriously call daily is 08450702429 - it seems to be registered by Sky plc. I tried calling the number directly but got only static noises.

We cancelled all and any sky subscriptions months ago, same for any BT and BTSports plans. How can we get charged on our Virgin account for calls we did not and could not make (the house is empty, and no equipment is connected to our virgin phone line sockets apart from analog telephone handsets) ?!

Is this a new scam or a known issue ? This looks very much like the Visa/Mastercards/DD scams where one's get charged small bogus amounts every month for as long as it remains unnoticed.

But while the Financial Services Industry and its regulators dealt with this issue very swiftly, providing advice, guidance and compensation to all abused clients; I could not find ANY actionable information either from Ofcom, TPS, or the PhonePaid Service Authority, not to mention our very own Virgin Media obviously !

I therefore thank the community in advance for any insight or guidance.

0 Kudos
nick_london
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Bogus Daily Landline Phone Charges to 0845 for weeks even when the house is empty!

It may be a crossed line. When you call your mobile from the landline, is it the right number showing up or is it someone else’s?

It definitely needs an engineer to come out and have a look at it or it will just continue. Virgin Media will offer you a refund of all these calls.

Just give them a call on 0345 454 1111 from your mobile, don’t use the landline to call them, this is so they can test the line.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Bogus Daily Landline Phone Charges to 0845 for weeks even when the house is empty!

Hello docgyneco

Sorry to hear this. 

Would you like me to have a look at this for you. 

Regards 

Gareth_L Forums Team 

0 Kudos
docgyneco
Tuning in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

An engineer came, left a message with our caretaker saying "the issue is resolved". And went...

I had no news since. Just checked billing statement for current period and the 0845 "daily charge" is still happening as of yesterday. 

I am hopeful Virgin teams will send me an update and explanation on what was not resolved by the technician, and at last a reimbursement for the charges for past months.

But... my hopes are not that high either, just a bit too busy in the new year to call their mumbai helpline just now.

To all: beware your phone lines, no one else does...

0 Kudos
nick_london
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

It might be worth asking if they can move you to Virgin’s Voip service. There is no chance that this can happen on voip line.

Ask them about running your phone service over your broadband. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Kaz_A
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi docgyneco

Thanks for getting back to us.

Just a quick question, do you have a house alarm?

Many house alarm systems dial in to run security checks at the same time each day, usually evening or early morning, to run tests on the system.

That would explain this regular daily call.

Many companies use free numbers but some use chargeable numbers and it's up to them to provide you with a free alternative access number for the alarm system.

Let us know if this is the possible cause of the phone number call.

Take care.

Karen

Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
docgyneco
Tuning in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Thank you very much, this was the culprit, I confirmed with the alarm teams. Mystery solved!
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Kaz_A
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Excellent

Hope you were able to get in touch with them and get them to assign a non chargeable dial in number for you.

Good luck!

Kaz

Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos