cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone downstairs, Hub upstairs

El-n-Hils
Joining in

Our main phone connection is downstairs near to the original location of our hub. We moved the hub upstairs to obtain better coverage but this means it is nowhere near the base unit for our phone.

Will we have to move the base unit of the phone to be nearer to the hub or is there some other solution? We do not want to move the hub as it is in the optimal position for wi-fi coverage in our house.

122 REPLIES 122

TrialsTeam

Hi @El-n-Hils,

Thank you for your post. We have more information on the switchover here and also here.

However, if you need any additional help or assistance not covered in these links, please let us know and we can go from there.

Thanks,

Ditto, which means having the base station with answering facilities in a bedroom.  I have read those links and others.

How can I keep that downstairs?  Running a cable through the house is not an option.  My TV downstairs communicates with the router upstairs over wifi, what is needed to make the phone do the same?

What kind of an 'upgrade' is it that means the router now has to be on all the time, and when the internet/TV goes off - which does happen - I lose the phone as well which has never happened.  Leaving the hub powered overnight and when we are away will mean everything else is still powered, unless I run another extension cable to separate them, which means I lose the second socket I use for mobile and tablet charging.

Hi @PaulH2011,

You will find more information regarding the best set up in this scenario in the links supplied in our earlier post.

Has your landline service been transferred to run through the router yet, or is it still going through the phone socket in the wall at the moment?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

Did you read my post?  I said at the outset I had followed those links and others, everything I read said the phone had to be plugged into the router as in "This means your phone will need to be plugged directly into your broadband Hub." and "Once the landline cable has been attached to the adapter, you’ll need to plug this into the first grey on your hub (also known as RJ11)."  The hub is upstairs as previously said.  The phone base station is currently plugged into a Virgin wall socket downstairs beside the TV connection.

Hi @PaulH2011,

I did read your post before responding. I'm just confirming that those links will contain further information on your situation.

If the transfer has already been done then it is correct that you will need to have the phone plugged directly into the router via the adapter. If it's yet to be done and an engineer comes to do the work for you, you can explain the situation to them and they can check to see what can be done for you.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

And I'm confirming that they don't help.

I have not said that the transfer has been done.  It's not for a while, the first indication I've had came in an email today (which initially I treated as a phishing scam) but immediately I can see that it is going to cause me problems and I'm trying to address them.

What I have asked is if there is a way of keeping the phone base station downstairs with the router (and my computers) upstairs without a cable between the two, but you are steadfastly ignoring that.  If not then say so.

As you're aware PaulH2011 we're migrating customers from our current landline system to a Hub based system. There are no options to prevent this from happening I'm afraid.

Rob

Again, this is ignoring my question!

I'm not asking for it to be stopped, what I'm asking is if there is a way of keeping the phone base station downstairs and the router (and my computers) upstairs without a cable between the two.

I'm finding this more and more these days - customer responders seemingly not able to understand a simple question, or more likely not knowing enough about their systems and only able to repeat what is on a crib-sheet in front of them - 'Computer says no'.

If I can run my TV from your cable downstairs without the router near it why can't I have the main phone down there as well?

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @PaulH2011,

Thank you for coming back to us. I am sorry if this has caused you any confusion in the past.

With the new Hub based system, the landline will require a cable connection in order to function, as the landlines are unable to connect to the Hubs in the same way that our TV boxes can. 

In order to have your Hub and your landline on different floors in your home, a wired connection will be needed. Apologies.

Let us know if there's anything else we can do to help.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs