Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub and phone are not near each other "need an engineer?"

ihutch
Tuning in

Hi,

I need to Book an Engineer I believe.

I tried looking in my emails about the switchover for a link to book an engineer electronically, and I was unable to find such a link.

• Virgin wires (Fiber and Copper Telephone) come into the loft
  • We initially had a landline and ISDN internet from Eurobell ( back in the day ) which became Blueyonder and then Virginmedia which is connected up to the copper telephone wire from Virgin Media

I have  Virgin Media Superhub 3 (white) which is upstairs in my bedroom along with a Tivo TV box.

• We have cordless BT Diverse plus Telephones 7110 and 7150 (answerphone) and moving the answerphone to be next to the Superhub is not possible as the phone is in a central location.
  • Moving the Superhub might be considered an option but I do use the RJ-45 Ethernet LAN ports on the back so if possible I would prefer not to move the Superhub.

Next to the hub is a "Telephone socket [extension/slave]"  which is working. 
I have wondered if I could connect a "BT Phone Line Plug to RJ11 Crossover Telephone Cable Extension | Lead Cord for Modem FAX SKY box Vir..." between my Superhub and Telephone wall socket instead of the adapter (provided), but my knowledge of telephone wiring and functionally is not sufficient to know if that would work.

If this was simple networking "logic" such as RJ-45 Ethernet, then connecting the crossover cable would probably work. At most the ...

• The telephone "Wall socket A"  which is by the Superhub would be disconnected from the master socket
  • The virgin media copper telephone wire (which comes in off the street) is disconnected from the master socket.
  • The telephone "Wall socket A" is reconnected to the master socket as the Line in and take over from the old copper wires that come into the property from the street.

I would be confident of making this wiring change if I knew the wiring diagram to use/pinout, as I have the tools to do it.

If I do need an engineer to visit as part of this Virgin Media Fiber Phone switch over, is there any benefit in combining the visit with potential changes to my package?

Currently On "VIVID 200 Optical Fiber with TiVo "TV Size M+" and a phone package.

I take it M200 Fibe broadband is no different to the VIVID 200 ?  and if so then the only questions are ...

• A savings upgrade from TiVo to Virgin TV V6 box?
  • Does an upgrade from TiVo to Virgin TV V6 box require a Virgin Media engineer to install?

Regards

Iain

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ayisha_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @ihutch,

Welcome to our Community Forums and thanks for your post. 

I'll be more than happy to help get a engineer visit booked for you if required. Will pop you a PM now so we can confirm some details and take a closer look into this for you 🙂

In regards to making any changes to your package, this is not something we can assist with via the Forums, so if you do wish to discuss that further, do reach out to our team on 0345 454 1111 who will be happy to help. 

Please keep an eye out for the purple envelope icon in the top right hand corner of your page for my message. 

Speak soon!

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

3 REPLIES 3

Ayisha_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @ihutch,

Welcome to our Community Forums and thanks for your post. 

I'll be more than happy to help get a engineer visit booked for you if required. Will pop you a PM now so we can confirm some details and take a closer look into this for you 🙂

In regards to making any changes to your package, this is not something we can assist with via the Forums, so if you do wish to discuss that further, do reach out to our team on 0345 454 1111 who will be happy to help. 

Please keep an eye out for the purple envelope icon in the top right hand corner of your page for my message. 

Speak soon!

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

Ayisha_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey @ihitch,

Thanks for your PM with the update and for the lovely feedback. 

Very pleased the engineer was able to get the switchover sorted 😄

If you need anything else, give us a shout! 

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Thanks for confirming your details via private message @ihutch.

I have raised the request for this to go through and it will go ahead in the next 24 hours.

Regards,

Steven_L