why has 4G download speed dropped over the last few weeks 2022

Stratoshere
Tuning in

only getting 2.37mb download

8 REPLIES 8

Molly_T
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Stratoshere, thank you for posting. Sorry to hear you of your recent speed issues on 4G. 

Have you done a reboot on your handset? Is the problem persisting following the reboot?

If you can also confirm:

-Make and model of Handset

-Software currently on Handset, and if there are any software updates required (if this is the case please install these!)

-If there is coverage showing in your area. 

To check your coverage please go to this page. About halfway down there is a button for 'Can I get 5G?' This will allow you to look at coverage in your area, using your postcode in the search bar. 

Let us know how you get on so we can offer further support! All the best. 

Molly

I reboot my blackberry Key 2 each morning and is always kept updated.Android 8.1.0

Its while updating these apps (not over WiFi) that Ive noticed they are considerably slower than a month or so ago. I have a good signal so that isn't the problem.

Unfortunately i am one of those that struggles with a touch screen either its oversensitive or doesn't detect the touch, hence the antiquated phone as others put it.

Regards

Hi @Stratoshere, thanks for your confirmation.

Based on the model of your device and your operating system, the age of this may be the contributing factor as download speeds are also impacted by the device used too.

Have you tried to erase any unused apps on your device and clear the memory, as this can impact how things run on handsets?

Many thanks

Tom_W

Hi Tom Thanks for the reply.

The phone may be 4 years old and shouldn't be the reason the download speed has dropped to around 10% of what it was earlier this year.

The phone memory is only 34% full and the additional memory is at 50% and most of the various apps i have are the ones Ive always used. i have only installed a few this year after removing others.

I delete my emails after reading (keep on the PC) text's are few and far between these days, so unless whats app memory is impacting the phone i am stumped.

With the speed test i carried out i had a greater upload speed than download which isn't normal in my eyes.

Regards

Hi Stratoshere, 

Thanks for coming back to us on this one. 

As the software version you're using is quite old, as more and more updates come out on the latest Android versions, the more it may affect your device I'm afraid. 

Do you have these sorts of speeds regardless of where you are or do you find they speed up when elsewhere or away from home? 

Have you recently had any new SIM cards off us or still using the one you always have?

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi Kath, interestingly I have tried a few updates in a different part of the country and they completed in seconds. Rather than 10 or so minutes for each app , so it must be due to the tower local to my home. Or dare I say diverting capacity to 5G?

Hi @Stratoshere,

Thank you for the update. I'm glad to hear that the updates were able to download easily elsewhere.

Are you continuing to face some problems in the local area? If so, is it only within a building or when you're out and about too?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

cje85
Trouble shooter

Do you have a 3G or 4G signal? All networks are reducing 3G capacity so the bandwidth can be reused for 4G. But if anything 4G should be getting faster as a result.