Menu
AndyCoffin
Dialled in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

voice calls not being received (4 weeks now)

Hi, after 4 weeks my phone is still not receiving calls when on 4g and now my partners phone has stopped working as well, we have followed the advice of all the tec people who keep telling me to change this setting and that setting (usually to do with voicemail as they dont believe the network can be in any way at fault) and several new sim cards, my partner is in the NHS and must be contactable at all times so she is now in the process of leaving virgin.

I have followed the advice of ModTeam here....

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Mobile/Unable-to-Recieve-calls-or-SMS/td-p/3594918 (SPOILER IT DOES NOT WORK!)

EE are telling me the problem is with the settings virgin are using in their network which is causing the phones to fail to drop to 3g/2g in time to receive the call in fact when i call myself from home i can see it drop to 3g 1 second after i get the unavailable tone and stay on 3g for 10 seconds where the phone will receive calls.

THIS CAN BE REPLICATED ON DEMAND.

I am asking for a mod to take personal charge of this problem like they do at BT or if they can PM me the number of the level 2 support as the normal helpline will not transfer me.

------------------------------------------
When I was a child, my speech, feelings, and thinking were all those of a child. Now that I am a man, I have no more use for childish ways.

The Puppet Master .
Mujtaba
Tuning in
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: voice calls not being received (4 weeks now)

Iam facing the same problem but unfortunately the Virgin customer service are not taking any formal complaints on this issue. They just restarted my mobile like 10 times in 3 days.
Still not working, also they don't transfer you to manager or technical support/dept.
Someone refferd me to virgin media but the level of customer service call centers are way to low.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi AndyCoffin and @Mujtaba,

I'm sorry that you are having a problem receiving voice calls. Apologies as well for the time it's taken to respond to this thread. Has this issue been resolved for you since your posts?

If you are still having an issue with this, please send me a private message by clicking this link: PM me here and provide the following details:

• Full name on the account
  • Mobile number

* For other forum users reading this, please only PM me if I have asked you to first.

Kind Regards,

Terri

Virgin Media Forum Team

Running out of data? Check out our top Mobile data tips

0 Kudos
AndyCoffin
Dialled in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi, yes the problem is still happening, will PM you now

When I was a child, my speech, feelings, and thinking were all those of a child. Now that I am a man, I have no more use for childish ways.

The Puppet Master .
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi AndyCoffin,

Thank you for verifying your details via PM. I have ordered your new Virgin SIM card and you should receive this within 3 to 5 working days. When you receive it, please follow the instructions for activation.You can find more information about this here: 

Installing your new SIM

Please let me know if this resolves the issue you have reported with your voice calls.

Kind Regards,

Terri

Virgin Media Forum Team

0 Kudos
AndyCoffin
Dialled in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@Terri_P

Hi new sim card has arrived and has been activated however i am still not receiving calls and calls are not being sent to voicemail, however as before after the call fails the phone go's to 3g for 10 seconds where the phone works fine. this new sim card has been tested on 3 phones and it does it on all 3.

I have put the phone back onto 3g only so it can be used and await your response.

The Puppet Master .
0 Kudos
AndyCoffin
Dialled in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi there the new sim card has arrived and has been activated in accordance with the instructions provided however i am still not receiving calls and calls are not being sent to voicemail, as before after the call fails the phone go's to 3g for 10 seconds where the phone works fine. this new sim card has been tested on 3 phones and it does it on all 3.

I have put the phone back onto 3g only so it can be used and await your response.

The Puppet Master .
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Andy, 

Thank you for getting back to me. I have refreshed the network settings for you. Please retry the following with the new SIM:

• Switch handset to 2G only, This can usually be found by going to the "settings" option within the menu of your phone
  • Manual network search and choose any other network except Virgin or EE e.g., O2, Vodafone etc. ( will tell you unable to connect or Show no service)
  • Then manually search again and choose Virgin.
  • Then set back to 4G
  • Reboot, make a test call. It should be working now.

If the above still doesn't work, please verify the following checks have been done:

• SMSC (Short Message Service Centre) number is +447458399008
  • You have manually selected the Virgin network
  • Can you try your SIM card in another handset to see if calls will come through on a 4G connection?
  • Also make sure that your APN settings are correct (see New Purple Virgin Mobile SIM and need the APN settings for data )

Please let me know how this goes.

AndyCoffin
Dialled in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@Terri_P

Hi again, done as asked and made a little progress, the settings where all as in the post but when i selected the network manually it rings on the outgoing phone and the mobile drops to 3g but does not ring (have tried ringing my mobile from a friends mobile (O2), my mums landline (also virgin) and another friends lineline/mobile (both with BT), then about 5 to 8 seconds later i get a popup on screen saying "the selected network "Virgin" is not available" with a ! in the notification area even tho it has max strength bars, this warning stays up for about 10 secs then the outgoing phone drops the call with the unavailable tone and the mobile then goes back to 4g and the ! symbol on the mobile disappears. if i set the phone back to "auto network selection" the mobile goes back to the unavailable tone after 2 to 4 seconds.

I have tested in another s5neo (my misses who is also having issues) and a friends nokia3 (both factory unlocked) both do the same, manual selection the phones drop to 3g but the phone does not ring however the nokia does not show the "network unavailable" message but does show the ! in the notification area. when set to "Auto select" both do the unavailable tone after 2 to 4 rings and both drop to 3g just after the tone starts (this is with the APN settings also installed on the nokia (much to his annoyance as it deleted his current providers)).

On all phones when the connection is placed on 3G/2G (auto select) the phone takes calls perfectly However we did also notice that with my sim card the phones only show "Virgin" but with my partners (red/white sim card) and my friends (BT) sims in the phone it shows "Virgin" and "virgin".

I would just like to say as well both my and my partners phones worked perfectly fine on 4g until just before the beginning of november 2017 and as far as we can tell both started playing up about the same time.

The Puppet Master .
0 Kudos
AndyCoffin
Dialled in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi @Terri_P

Just to report the phone now seems to be working as it should be, it drops to 3G as soon as i dial in and start ringing right away. i've left it on manual network selection for now as it seems to be connected all the time and will keep an eye on it, in the meantime i've asked several friends to randomly phone over the next 2 weeks and let me know if they cant get thro.

Just for others i was sent a new purple sim which didn't work quite right and was asked for its serial number, im assuming it was then re registered with the network and all is fine at the moment.

Thank you so much for your help.

The Puppet Master .
0 Kudos