cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unable to request a move to eSIM (and no 5G Data)

ChrisBibby1984
Tuning in

Hello,

I am unable to request a move to eSIM. The site tells me to dial 789. When I did this today and spoke to a member of the team they told me that eSIMs aren't available anymore. What is the official line on this?

Also, I have just got a new iPhone 13 Pro Max, when I put my VM SIM in I can't get anything higher than 4G, even in a confirmed 5G signal area according to the coverage checker. What do I need to do to get 5G enabled, is it account specific?

I've done the usual checks in the mobile data settings, 5G is enabled in the settings, and if I do a manual network selection I can't see EE, but can see Vodafone. I'm guessing this means I'm using the MVNO connected to EE currently?

Any help on the above would be very much appreciated.

Thank you

Chris

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi ChrisBibby1984, 

Thank you for reaching out to us here on the community and thank you to BenMcr for your assistance. 

As BenMcr has advised, we are not currently offering the eSim for new orders but if this changes we will be sure to keep you updated here

It is correct that 5G would only be provided with certain tariffs/plans so if you haven't already, we would recommend having a check on what's available via your online account or give us a call on 789 to run through some options 🙂 

Thank you 

Nat

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

9 REPLIES 9

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It's correct that they're not currently available if you don't already have one.

I would expect they'll come back, but as when they were available they were for your 'main' device only and wouldn't enable companion devices, then they worked basically the same as a physical SIM. I'd hope when they come back they'll also work with companion devices 

In regards to 5G for Virgin Mobile, the main way to change would be upgrade your airtime plan to a new 5G compatible plan, this would be subject to a new 12 or 24 month minimum term though.

The alternative is to wait until your current Virgin Mobile airtime plan is migrated to use the Vodafone network at which point 5G access would be enabled. However there is no confirmed timescale as to when that'll happen for everyone yet.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi ChrisBibby1984, 

Thank you for reaching out to us here on the community and thank you to BenMcr for your assistance. 

As BenMcr has advised, we are not currently offering the eSim for new orders but if this changes we will be sure to keep you updated here

It is correct that 5G would only be provided with certain tariffs/plans so if you haven't already, we would recommend having a check on what's available via your online account or give us a call on 789 to run through some options 🙂 

Thank you 

Nat

Hi Nat, 

Any updates on this? Do you have any estimates of when eSIMs will be available again or why they are not being offered so I can estimate it. 

Thanks

Bijoy

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@bijoyskochar wrote:

Hi Nat, 

Any updates on this? Do you have any estimates of when eSIMs will be available again or why they are not being offered so I can estimate it. 

Thanks

Bijoy 

The team on here never have access to that sort of information. (Sometimes they are the last to know)

Personally I don't expect any moves on eSIMs until after all customers are moved off EE and onto Vodafone and things settle down.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thank you for coming back to us @bijjoyskochar, 

Unfortunately we don't have any updates as to when e-sims will be available.

Kind regards,

Zak_M

Furzzul
On our wavelength

I have had an E-sim (Virgin) and a physical sim (O2) working on my iPhone for several months now. Is there any danger of Virgin stopping existing E-sims. working?

Hi there Furzzul, 

Thanks for your post.

If you E sim isn't working it may be a sign of something being wrong with the network or handset.

When you try to use your phone do you get any errors?

Regards

Nathan

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

Furzzul
On our wavelength

The E-sim is working fine. I would just like conformation that Virgin are not going to stop existing e-sims working now that you are not issuing new ones. 

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

As things currently stand we don't have any plans to stop existing customers using there E-sims. 

Kind regards,

Zak_M