Menu
micky_j
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

swapping sim to another phone

ive never had to post on a forum before so hopefully  i do it right. i have a sony Eriksson  phone and use a payg with virgin media  but phone is on its last legs , and my wife has just upgraded her phone so i have her  sony Experia L1 , which is only just over 2 years old . But how do i get the virgin mobile sim to work in the new phone  as it was with 02 before  but i need to keep the number ive had for nearly 20 years now . anyones help would be much appreciated as ive tried and tried for hours on end to contact vm, but as you can see im hoping for at least  someone to tell me what i have to do to get the sim working in the new phone 

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: swapping sim to another phone

Are you saying the replacement phone is locked to O2 and you want to use your Virgin SIM?

Or do you want to move to O2 and keep your number?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

micky_j
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

hi and thank you for your reply , ive tried the virgin media sim card in the other phone and 02 gave me a code to unlock it when i put the  virgin media sim card in the phone it just says on the screen locked by the network  but have phoned 02 and had a live chat but of course there is no chance with VM to do that  as ive been trying to contact them for days as it could be them blocking it , as i want to keep my VM payg sim as ive got quite a lot of money on it . I just dont know what to do as ive never had any problems before and thought it would be simple to do .

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Still sounds like the phone is locked  sometimes there is a special way to put in the code.

Check with this video

https://youtu.be/aes0Mk8TMA4

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

micky_j
Tuning in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi again i have done all that what it does in the video and 02 sent me an email with all the instructions and the unlocking code but it said unsuccesful, so didnt want to do it again in case it stopped all together so could it be the Vm sim causing the problems only maybe it would be better if i just got an 02 payg sim and claimed a refund on the Vm sim card im just so confused now haha  its the old brain not used to all this technical stuff .

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Has the old SIM stopped working?

0 Kudos
micky_j
Tuning in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

hi once again do you think i should just ask virgin media for a pac code and keep my number and get an 02 sim card maybe that will solve all my problems .
0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Possible. But before you jump for O2 have a look at GiffGaff which are owned by O2 and works in their phones.

In fact sending for one of their SIM cards would be a good way of checking before commitment to anything.

Another that works in O2 phones is Tesco

0 Kudos
micky_j
Tuning in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi again and thank you so much for your help and advice i will sort something out tomorrow as im not at all happy with VM as ive sent so many messages to them for a pac code and its just a waste of time so sorry but im finished with them now , very bad service .  regards Micky_j

0 Kudos
Emily_G
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the post Micky_j and sorry to hear the unlock code provided by O2 hasn't worked.

Please don't post this information publicly but are you aware of the handsets IMEI number? As we may be able to locate an unlock code for you with this. 

Thanks, Emily.

0 Kudos