Menu
Selgovae
Up to speed
Message 21 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Re: roaming surcharges

@jnm21 wrote:

Hi folks, home you don't mind a thread revival/hijack - after beating my head off the wall (the VM twitter team), thought I might try here!

Put simply I am on a 100GB £20 mobile sim only (I only use about 2 to 20GB per month, so always have 200GB at the start of each month with data rollover) & want to know how much data I can use in the EU.

Seems like Virgin are putting me into a loop:

https://help.virginmedia.com/system/templates/selfservice/vm/help/customer/locale/en-GB/portal/20030... says

"You can now use your UK allowance anywhere in the EU* with Roam Like Home. This means that while you’re travelling in an EU country you can use your UK allowance of Minutes, Texts and Data, just as you would in the UK subject to fair use limits."

"fair use limits" links to http://store.virginmedia.com/the-legal-stuff/our-service.html#11c which says

"5.1. It’s a simple calculation: 5.1.1. Pay monthly customers: twice your monthly airtime cost (before VAT) divided by the current EU data wholesale capped rate."

and

"5.2. You can see the surcharge rates and the latest EU data wholesale capped rate in our Tariff Table."

"Tariff Table" links to http://store.virginmedia.com/virgin-media-mobile/pay-monthly/pay-monthly-call-charges.html which does not mention the words "wholesale" or "capped", indeed it says under both "General Mobile" & "Offers + Extras"

"Roam Like Home: Fair use policy applies. See virginmedia.com/legalstuff" which... yep... is a circular reference back to the previous page that referred me there!

Can you see how frustrating this all is?  Can you see how I feel Virgin Mobile are failing to comply with https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/consumers/internet-telecoms/mobile-roaming-costs/index_en.htm ... says

"Your operator must inform you of your roam like at home data allowance."

The easiest way is to use Virgin Mobile's online calculator at https://store.virginmedia.com/FUP-Calculator.html

I entered your details and got this. I hope it's of some use.

I am just another Virgin Mobile user trying to help out, so my answers may be wrong.
If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful; it may help others.

Screenshot_20180811-073350.jpg
Screenshot_20180811-073350.jpg

jnm21
Tuning in
Message 22 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Thank you so much Selgovae!  Why can the VM twitter team not give that link?

One thing not made clear is whether I enter cost inc/exc vat?

0 Kudos
Selgovae
Up to speed
Message 23 of 32
Flag for a moderator

It does say just look in your account to find the amount and I'm sure it's showing as incl VAT. 

0 Kudos
Selgovae
Up to speed
Message 24 of 32
Flag for a moderator

"Put simply I am on a 100GB £20 mobile sim only (I only use about 2 to 20GB per month, so always have 200GB at the start of each month with data rollover)"

BTW how do manage to start each month with 200GB of data. I understood the rollover data was capped at 20GB?

0 Kudos
jnm21
Tuning in
Message 25 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Nope, shows as 100GB + 100GB rollover.

vm.png

0 Kudos
Selgovae
Up to speed
Message 26 of 32
Flag for a moderator

@jnm21 wrote:

Nope, shows as 100GB + 100GB rollover.

vm.png

Sorry but I can't see your image. 

0 Kudos
jnm21
Tuning in
Message 27 of 32
Flag for a moderator

If anyone from virgin notices this, that FUP calculator is great.  Just a few suggestions:

• Tell the twitter team about it,
  • Make it clear if the cost is inc VAT &
  • Pop a year selection on it - many folk will be planning for next year - only way to beat post holiday blues!!!
Highlighted
jnm21
Tuning in
Message 28 of 32
Flag for a moderator

I can see my image twice - once in my post, then again in your reply.  Sorry if it doesn't appear.

0 Kudos
Selgovae
Up to speed
Message 29 of 32
Flag for a moderator

@jnm21 wrote:

I can see my image twice - once in my post, then again in your reply.  Sorry if it doesn't appear.

It's okay the image is finally showing. Thanks

0 Kudos
teabag
Superstar
Message 30 of 32
Flag for a moderator

@jnm21 wrote:

If anyone from virgin notices this, that FUP calculator is great.  Just a few suggestions:

• Tell the twitter team about it,
  • Make it clear if the cost is inc VAT &
  • Pop a year selection on it - many folk will be planning for next year - only way to beat post holiday blues!!!

As far as I know, for the calculator it says put in cost of plan - the cost of our plans have VAT included.

If your getting a discount monthly - you do not use the discounted price, you put full price in.

Calculating for next year could only be a guess, guessing what the UK VAT or EU wholesale cap will be then :-)

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only x2. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos