cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

problem accessing komoot map when on virgin network

Flirtyfish
Tuning in

I have been finding that the route finding app that I use for cycling, Komoot, doesn't work properly on the virgin mobile network.

The map fails to load in detail and so can't route plan when on mobile network signal.

Internet access works and other apps function.  Would virgin mobile network block the map??

7 REPLIES 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

Highly unlikely as VM promote the app https://www.virginmedia.com/virgin-tv-edit/tv/outdoor-apps-uk-apple-android-nature-fitness-exercise-...

Also I can find no trace of any other posts about it on here. 

Maybe try a reinstall of the app? 

Yes, I would have thought so too.

However uninstall/reinstall of app made no difference.

Having seen other posts about trouble opening certain apps (gambling mainly) I thought I would try turning off parental controls via my virgin mobile account.  And.. it seems to have fixed the problem.  Though I need to test it when further afield.

The komoot app developers say that it would be unusual for a mobile network to block their map but have suggested that the mobile network should

whitelist the domain tiles-api.maps.komoot.net

Perhaps that could be checked by an official virgin moderator??

Hi @Flirtyfish - great username

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community. 

Sorry to hear of the Cycle app not working. Is this only on mobile data I presume? 

Also you said in the 2nd post, it's now fixed after turning off Parental controls - is that correct or do you need further help?

Best

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

It seems to have fixed it so far, but I am going to test it later today in another part of the country.

What do you think of the fix suggested by komoot support, e.g. to whitelist the map domain?   It would be great if this were the solution rather than turning off parental control?

Thanks

If turning parental control off were to fix it, this means that something in the app would be flagged as that. Keep me posted when you go out later. 

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

So, it seems that turning off parental control via my virgin mobile account has fixed the problem.

The komoot map worked fine when I was away from home and on mobile network

Having returned home I have also confirmed that turning parental controls back on made the problem return.

When I switched it off parental controls again I had to come out of the mobile network (by going back to home wifi) and then back into it for the map to work again.

So, solved, I hope.

This must be a new setting within parental controls, as last year I had no problem with the app.

Hi @Flirtyfish

Thank you for getting back to us and providing an update.

I am happy to hear a fix has been found for you.

Please pop back to us if you have any further issues and we will do all we can to help. 

Vikki - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide