cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

not fit to use abroad

asfour
On our wavelength

I gave up on being able to use my blueyonder email from the us and switched to gmail. 

Now I have a problem with my virgin payg mobile acct. I currently am using a US sim card in my iphone and for my internet and wireless, I have Xfinity internet/wireless.  once in a while I have to insert my virgin sim card to receive a text  at my UK number for 2 step identification. And I'm always using xfinity wireless on my phone. However each time i've done that - like today - I'm charged L10 for data abroad. How can I be being charged for data when i'm using xfinity broadband wireless.

what it amounts to is that for some arcane and devious reason, every time I insert my Virgin sim card there's an unavoidable, and unjustified, charge of L10.  For the months i've been in the US - NOT using Virgin - it has cost me L30 to receive 3 or 4 texts.

In every way, Virgin has been at best useless and at worst harmful, while i'm abroad. It's totally unfit for purpose and i intend to get rid of  all virgin services when I return in april. For now - how do I avoid this data rip off

17 REPLIES 17

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If it's a UK Virgin PAYG account then the PAYG service finished completely on the 18th January. You can claim a refund of your balance up to the end of this year.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Molly_T
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @asfour, thank you for posting. 

Sorry to hear of this experience. 

Are you on a PAYG service as suggested by @enlli

Have you been sent any communications from us regarding being sent a SIM (or anything else)?

Also, do you have WIFI Calling enabled and active on your device?

Hopefully we can get this resolved for you. 

All the best. 

Molly

asfour
On our wavelength

my mistake - I'm on a L6 monthly sim plan

asfour
On our wavelength

I'm not making any calls. All i'm doing is inserting sim card to a receive text w/ a code then immediately removing the virgin sim card. The last time I had to do this was receiving a text from Virgin Mobile so I could reset my password. (Unlike other organizations, Virgin will ONLY let me list a UK phone number on my account then they get 10 quid when they text me - quite a racket). 

As I indicated above - I made a mistake about my plan. It's a monthly L6 sim card plan.

Hi @asfour, thank you for getting back to us. 

Thank you for confirming you are not on a PAYG service. 

Just to be completely clear, the issue you are having is the amount you are being billed when receiving text messages from Virgin media whilst using your phone abroad in the US? 

Are you getting the same charges for any other messages you have received whilst abroad? And are there any other issues with your mobile service we need to be aware of?

All the best. 

Molly

asfour
On our wavelength

Thank you for your effort. While using my Virgin sim in my phone, I have received one or 2 texts a month. That is my only use of  and connection to Virgin -  receiving these texts, only time I put my Virgin sim in my phone.   I have then billed L10 each month I receive these texts for data usage whilst abroad. But how am I using Virgin data when I'm using the internet wirelessly to access these texts.? -my phone isn't using virgin broadband wirelessly, but rather Xfinity (my US provider) wirelessly. My complaint is that I'm being billed for using data. 

The very fact that this seems to be so complicated is part of the reason while I say that virgin is unfit if you're abroad. always hassles.

Thank you for getting back to us. We appreciate the additional information. 

Can you just confirm what you mean by L10 or L6? This is not a term we are used to regarding mobile packages. 
I will also send you a PM to confirm your details so we can look into this further for you. 

Thank you for your patience whilst we investigate!

All the best. 

Molly

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You will not be using Virgin data abroad but that supplied by your roaming network who will bill Virgin who will add their mark-up. As to why there is a data connection it would be impossible to diagnose at a distance but is more likely to be how the phone acts and not the SIM.

Before using your Virgin SIM turn off mobile data on your phone and see what happens.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

asfour
On our wavelength

it means 10 pounds or 6 pounds. my keyboard doesn't ahve a pound sign