Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

new sim, but I am abroad

today I received a sudden notification of the sim swap and warning that I must insert the new one ASAP, but I am abroad. permanently. 

before leaving the uk last year I was under the impression that I would be able to continue using this sim card for keeping in contact with my *bank* and my friends. 

it seems that the new sim card has already been sent to my old address but I have no way of retrieving it. 

can another one be sent to my new address abroad?

please help!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: new sim, but I am abroad

Hello
I am afraid that VM cannot send out a SIM when you are not in the UK, even if they could I am afraid that as all SIMs are not activated when sent out, they will only activate when connected to their home UK network, the only way around this is for VM to send the SIM to a family member or friend and for them to place in a phone to activate it and then for them to forward the activated SIM to you.

Can you let the forum know if this can be done and then a member of the VM forum team can arrange the replacement to be sent to a UK address.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

thank you for your quick reply!

i have a friend that says that it may be ok for the replacement sim to be sent to their address.  but I have a few questions/want to make sure I'm not misunderstanding...

does it matter if my friend's phone is in a contract with a company other than virgin media?

what will happen to my current sim card when the other is activated? though I'm guessing it'll become useless?

and I would like to clarify - my phone uses a nano sim card, so the phone my friend uses will also have to be for nano sim cards...? 

thank you again for your time 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

hello again,

im sorry to bother, but I've had no response to the reply i sent you regarding the sim swap and my being abroad.

you kindly mentioned letting the forum know if i have a friend that can activate a replacement sim card for me, and it was my intention that i did so in my reply... is there another way that i should let the forum know? i began this account to fix this problem so i am not accustomed to how this works.   i have since received a message saying that i have 25 days before my services are disrupted and i am *very willing* to have a new sim sent to a friend in the uk asap. 

i marked this answer as helpful out of gratitude but my problem still remains unsolved..

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hello

I have escalated to the VM forum team, somebody will be along in this thread to resolve it for you.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi himikoshiro,

Thanks for your post and a belated welcome to the community 🙂

I will now pop you over a PM so I can look into sending the replacement SIM over to your friend's UK address for you. You'll be able to find my message over at the purple envelope.

See you there,

Thanks for your help on this one @DJ_Shadow1966

Beth

0 Kudos