cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iphone 12 cant send or receive texts/imesage not working properly

iphone12
Tuning in

Hi,can someone please help me I bought my first iphone and it's been a complete nightmare! they told me to use my old sim from my old phone but text messages was being sent to my old android phone after I put the sim in to my new iphone 12,how was that even possible? I could send text to certain people but not others,out of frustration I downloaded the esim but now i cant even use imessage,it wont start,but i can still use data and browse the web and use whatsapp etc ,does esim even work on the iphone 12? my old sim stopped working once i activated the esim,should i ask to get a new sim sent out or is my iphone faulty? I only got it last Monday and it's been nothing but trouble,also it takes forever to charge once it reaches 96 percent even though I have a 20w apple charger.

Oh and on my virgin page it says 'oomph sim activated 13th AUG' is that because i downloaded the esim?

16 REPLIES 16

Yes I scanned it ,data works fine and I can receive texts if certain contacts but not others but now iMessage won’t activate🤷🏼‍♂️

I shouldn’t really have to since I only got the phone Monday I would rather get it exchanged

Agreed, but from your description it’s unlikely to be a hardware fault with your iPhone. Is your phone number displayed correctly in Settings>Phone? If it is turn off iMessage, restart your iPhone, and finally re enable iMessage.

I’ve tried everything now I’m waiting for new sim if that doesn’t fix it they better had give me a new phone

Tom_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi iphone12, thanks for getting in touch. 

I'm sorry to hear you've encountered this issue with iMessage. As already confirmed above it's unlikely that this is a fault with the phone or SIM, it's more probable that this is an issue with your Apple ID - have you been able to contact Apple for support around that? 

Do you have another Apple device you could try signing in to to see if the problem replicates on there as well?

Please keep us updated with how you're getting on.

Tom 

DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hello

The way that iMessage works is that it doesn't automatically update the change of phone number dynamically, so to resolve this what you have to do is -
1) Logout of your Apple ID.
2) Turn off the phone and then back on.
3) Sign back into your Apple ID.
This will force the change of phone number with iMessage and will resolve your problem.
Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hey @iphone12,

Have you been able to try the method that @DJ_Shadow1966, recommended in his last post?

Regards,

Steven_L