Menu
Highlighted
nijmegen92
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 21
Flag for a moderator

iPhone using data even when mobile data turned off

Hello. Does anybody else find this. I turned off mobile data and at home my iPhone 5 connects to my Virgin media smart hub automatically. However, when checking my data usage, it seems that the phone is regularly ‘using the internet’ even when at home and eating into my data allowance. I have followed all advice on forums, but this is still happening. Anybody got any suggestions? Thanks.

PermBan
Joining in
Message 2 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Re: iPhone using data even when mobile data turned off

Hi. look there - this is a VM standard! 3 **** kilobytes = 2quid? Smiley Mad

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Mobile/LOL-LOL-LOOOOOL-DEAR-CUSTOMERS/td-p/3679475

0 Kudos
Les01889
Up to speed
Message 3 of 21
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Are you on 4g? Have a look at my question here 

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Managing-Your-Account-Mobile/4G-eating-data-while-on-wifi/m-p/36...

theres been loads of questions about this  Virgin's only response is that it's "normal" for 4g phones to search for mobile service every hour or so (even when mobile data is turned off ). My phones use a tiny amount every hour or so, I've never gone over my limits yet though.  It seems the only solution is to turn the phone off when not in use. A bit crap really though

paulchambers061
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 21
Flag for a moderator

i still have the red/white sim, and don't get the data "leaking" at all. the only "using the internet" I get is when i'm on 4g

0 Kudos
josell
Tuning in
Message 5 of 21
Flag for a moderator

I was told to turn it off too but this issue has only started in last 2 weeks. Prev for 3+ years the iphone has only used data when no wifi available. It wod seem the new updates now maximise virgins ability to charge for data.  Absolute con!

Les01889
Up to speed
Message 6 of 21
Flag for a moderator

It's definitely a problem that Virgin continue to deny. We never had problems until we upgraded 3 of our 4 phones to 4g with new sims. Even turning data off doesn't stop all of the charges.  We've got 1phone that hasn't been upgraded & still on old sim. This phone doesn't show any spurious data usage, so I'm convinced this is a FAULT in Virgins system concerning the new "upgraded" sims. The only upgrade I see is to Virgin's profits. 

For some reason all the 4g phones show a small data usage charge every hour or so while switched on. What makes this worse is, if you check data usage in your account, it shows as "No" in the "included in tariff" column although it doesn't actually show a charge in the "Cost" column. 

Virgin don't seem to have an answer for any of these problems, even though they seem to be related & must surely be connected to the new sims. I'm a bit of a "dinosaur" but if I can work out the link why can't Virgin's "whizz-kids" come up with something??

0 Kudos
paulchambers061
Knows their stuff
Message 7 of 21
Flag for a moderator

That bit about the data usage and "in plan = no" has always confused me. Looking in the billing for previous months that shows as "in tariff = yes, or not included" 

0 Kudos
donnadaydream
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Is there anyway to stop this from happening? My son has an iphone 7 and went over his plan last month and I was very angry at him as he assured me he had been careful. Well this month he is very close to using all of his data so I have looked to what is going on and have discovered this is happening to him. Turns out he is being really careful and as far as I can tell on his phone there is no background stuff happening when data is turned on yet last night alone his phone has used 50mb. He has less than that this month so will start getting £3 per day charged if this continues. Hardly seems fair! I have checked on my account too as I have a samsung and the same is happening but I have a larger limit so am less worried

0 Kudos
phil_88
Joining in
Message 9 of 21
Flag for a moderator

the same is happening to me ever since this new purple sim, I never ever used over 2gb data but in the past 2 weeks since my new sim I have used 4.5gb
0 Kudos
paulchambers061
Knows their stuff
Message 10 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Not a fix, more of a workaround. You can see (hopefully) what apps are draining data, and turn them off individually from using data. System services you can't. 

Below lifted from apples own page on the subject (uk version). 

View how much data you're using

To see how much cellular data that you've used, go to Settings, then tap Cellular or Mobile Data. If you're using an iPad, you might see Settings > Cellular Data instead.

To see how much cellular data an app is using, scroll down to find the app. If you don't want an app to use cellular data, you can turn it off for that app. When cellular data is off, apps use Wi-Fi for data.

To see the cellular data usage for individual System Services, go to Settings, then tap Cellular or Mobile Data. Then scroll to the bottom of the screen and tap System Services. Cellular data can't be turned on or off for individual System Services.

Depending on your carrier, you may see overall cellular data usage displayed on this screen. If you don’t have this option, or have questions about your data usage, contact your carrier.

0 Kudos