cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone region switching issue

mcjay669
Joining in

Ever since joining virgin mobile I’ve been having a strange issue regarding my phones region. It keeps changing to different regions and not allowing me to make phone calls due to “no credit” which is wrong as I am on the unlimited Everything contract. The only way to change back is to keep manually changing my region to Belgium, reboot the phone then change back to the UK. The region change keeps  happening randomly without me even leaving the house. I have restarted my phone Numerous times and have also upgraded to the latest version of iOS (13.6) but it keeps happening. Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated.

51 REPLIES 51

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@JC23 There has been no fix at present but if you follow the thread then

Go to: Settings -> mobile data -> SIM Applications (near bottom) -> tap "Roaming"  -> tap "Select Mode"

Tap manual -> then choose National.

If you roam just do the same but select international 

What the problem seems to be is that the Automatic setting fails from time to time. It only appears to effect iPhones and then not all of them.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Jenni2010
Joining in

Mine had been doing this ever since I switched to virgin a couple of months ago!! It’s driving me insane!! Is there a fix yet? Rather than switching my region to another country then back to uk? A company like virgin should have this solved by now. 😞

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Jenni2010 wrote:

Mine had been doing this ever since I switched to virgin a couple of months ago!! It’s driving me insane!! Is there a fix yet? Rather than switching my region to another country then back to uk? A company like virgin should have this solved by now. 😞

Knowing what the problem is I don't think it is fixable

Virgin is a Virtual Operator with no network of their own. As such they cannot set up roaming agreements of their own and use a network in Belgium as a proxy. This is the reason for the SIM being programmed the way it is...there is no way round at present other than manually setting roaming preferences.

The SIMs work fine in all other operating systems it's just Apple. However, Virgin Mobile being a tiny network subscriber wise I doubt if Apple are interested in finding out why their phones sometimes ignore the Automatic setting on the SIM.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

MikeFloutier
Tuning in

My wife and I also have this issue, in fact it’s hard to see why it’s not affecting everyone who switches to Virgin, so it’s surprising it’s not fixed after 18 months or so. 

I shall be looking forward to the end of our contracts. 🙂

Serena_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @MikeFloutier

Welcome to our Community Help Forum 🙂

Sorry to hear that you are your wife are bother experiencing the same issue, apologies for any frustration this has caused. Unfortunately there is not a fix yet, however have you tried the workaround:

Go to: Settings -> mobile data -> SIM Applications (near bottom) -> tap "Roaming"  -> tap "Select Mode"

Tap manual -> then choose National.

If you roam just do the same but select international 

Kind regards,

Serena

Thanks Serena, yes we have. But, as folk say, for some reason the phone reverts to a foreign number format after a few days - even though the Region setting is unchanged.

Serena_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for letting me know. I'm sorry that the phone still keeps reverting to a foreign number format after a few days, I understand this must be frustrating. Would you like me to raise a complaint for you regarding the matter?

Kind regards,

Serena

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Also turn Dial Assist off. 

Yes please Serena, we only just switched to Virgin so it would be great to sort it rather than spend a whole year fighting with it 🙂

Serena_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @MikeFloutier

Thanks for getting back to me. I shall send you a private message now to obtain the details required and get a complaint raised for you.

Have you tried @enlli 's suggestion of turning Dial Assist off?

Kind regards,

Serena