cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone Dial Assist Problems

fraser4
Just joined

Since I updated to iOS 11.4.1 my iPhone X attempts to use dial assist for mobile numbers which start 07.  The calls then fail with unknown number.  Any number in my contacts that's stored with +44 works fine.  If I switch dial assist off then the 07 numbers work.

I did the firmware update while in Ireland so I'm wondering if the phone thinks it's in Ireland.  I've checked and the region is set to UK.

Does anyone have any ideas?

144 REPLIES 144

Ashie2112
On our wavelength
I was one of those with this problem back in November last year and can confirm that R101's fix does work and I've had no problems since.

For anyone new coming on board with this issue, I suggest that it may be worth reading through the various comments from about page 6 onwards as there are some other little twiddles that you may need to do outside of the main fix.

macjim
On our wavelength

I set SIM applications>roaming> to manual and selected Virgin (I don’t see National but I’m on iOS 14 public beta 3 but I think it’ll work on iOS 13 too), dial assist set to off, then set mobile roaming to off and so far, touch wood, it seems to be working... worth a try. 

PS I did try R101's suggestion but I couldn’t find the bit where he said select ‘national’ on my iPhone XR hence my option. 

macjim
On our wavelength

Well, I'm on day two without any corruption being experienced so my fix seems to be working. I hope others will try my suggestions (either on iOS 13 or 14 public beta) and send feedback on how they get on. I'm just happy that I've not needed to hard reset my iPhone on a daily basis now... Here's hoping the fix continues.

Are you kidding? So you’re suggestion is that I get rid of the smartphone I’m paying for each month and use an old Nokia instead? 
you must have more money than sense! 

ResidentRob
Tuning in

Hi All

The fix listed on here is only temporary and will change randomly back to the wrong format at any time as some of you will have noticed

Here is the 100% guaranteed fix

1st off the issue is NOT in the phone or the network provider. Most of us use Icloud to back up our phone numbers and that is the problem

On your computer goto icloud . com and log in

open Contacts then at the bottom left of the screen click on the cog for settings then select preferences

In here look for Formats and see which country it is set to. Obviously for us in the UK we want United Kingdom not United States. Once changed click save

Now restart your phone and hey presto ALL FIXED

Good Luck All 

Message to Virgin Mobile Tech support make sure all your staff read this to save the hassle of us customers becoming frustrated with your staff when they are asking for help

Rob that definitely isn't the cause of mine as I don't use iCloud for my contacts - I use Google (and on Google all the contacts show correctly with appropriate number formats).  From what everyone else has said it definitely seems to be down to a strange interaction between Virgin's Belgian-sourced SIMs and the iPhone settings.

From what I can see the "R101" fix is the only one I've seen where people haven't come back to say the problem reappeared.  I've been suffering this issue intermittently for a while and hadn't seen his fix previously but have just applied it now so hoping this time it sticks!

Kjm2
Settling in

Just to note, this is definitely an issue with Virgin themselves (although they outright refuse to admit so).

I’ve had my iPhone X for over 2 years now with no issues at all, same number for 5 years+, and had been with EE up until April 2021. I decided to switch to Virgin because they were cheaper, and instantly had this issue. My phone kept saying it was in Belgium and the only workaround (workaround because it would revert back after a few days, despite numerous calls with Virgin tech support and Apple support) was to switch my region to Belgium then back to UK and it would go away for a few days, but always happen again.

Now, after a very long call with Virgin where they adamantly denied this being anything to do with them, I decided to switch back to EE to see if the issue would disappear (because it had never happened before with them). I’ve now been back with EE for nearly a month, and what a surprise, THE ISSUE IS GONE! With Virgin I would’ve had this happen 10 times by now, but not had any issues since.

Of course, Virgin will still deny this being any fault of theirs. However, I believe the issue might just be a combination of both Apple and Virgin, because it doesn’t make sense for it not to occur with EE if it was solely an iPhone issue.

macjim
On our wavelength

Yes, it is a Virgin problem, and the solution that has worked for me it a simple one... Switch off dial assist in the iPhone settings... Problem solved.

Dial assist was the cause of the Belgium numbers... I'd try to phone for a taxi and end up calling someone in Belgium: fortunately they didn't pick up.

Ever since I switched off dial assist, I've not had this happen once.

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Kjm2 wrote:

Of course, Virgin will still deny this being any fault of theirs. However, I believe the issue might just be a combination of both Apple and Virgin, because it doesn’t make sense for it not to occur with EE if it was solely an iPhone issue.

The problem lies squarely with the design and programming of Virgin SIM cards and the deal they signed with Proximus of Belgium which means you are effectively roaming in the UK. They will deny it of course and the technical nature of how this is done will be beyond the remit of most operatives in customer services.

The problem has been around since the new SIM cards were issued in 2016, so don't expect a solution

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks ++
ive been living with this for several weeks and have been too busy to research it until now. Adding +44 solved this issue and was a not too onerous workaround. 
now though I’m pretty sure I’ve sorted it as I was seeing this +32 numbers in recents and knowing I hadn’t called them - indeed it’s only your post that’s identified it’s Belgium for me. 

ive done the settings region thing you suggest and feel v optimistic that I’ll have finally sorted it!

huge thanks