cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone Dial Assist Problems

fraser4
Just joined

Since I updated to iOS 11.4.1 my iPhone X attempts to use dial assist for mobile numbers which start 07.  The calls then fail with unknown number.  Any number in my contacts that's stored with +44 works fine.  If I switch dial assist off then the 07 numbers work.

I did the firmware update while in Ireland so I'm wondering if the phone thinks it's in Ireland.  I've checked and the region is set to UK.

Does anyone have any ideas?

144 REPLIES 144

Hi Scrappymax

Read and try message number 63 posted by R101.  His solution worked for for most of us with this problem.

Derek

Another thanks from me.

I would just add that my problem was that one moment I could ring a number then 2 seconds later I tried again and my iphone8 had barred all numbers and did not recognise any.

It is now sorted thanks to this thread but I would love to know what could have triggered the event.

Hello

Have you managed to find a permanent fix to your phone switching regions

Mine is just so annoying, doing 3 or 4 timers a day

Darrell

If you read the previous posts Darrell, you will see there appears to be a permanent fix.

I've had this issue for around 18 months.  I found the temporary fix others have mentioned of changing region to something else and back again does indeed work but then it reoccurs again.  I've just tried the fix in message number 63 so fingers crossed and thanks!  I used to have and iPhone6s which is where I first encountered the issue and I now have on my iPhone11 which was done from my icloud account.  I think the issue may have started for me after a trip to Denmark where I used my phone with roaming.

Thanks for all your help with our community pex.

R101
On our wavelength

@invade I've not had the issue reoccur since making the change a month ago so you should hopefully be good 🤞. Just remember that if you go abroad you may need to switch roaming back to automatic or international.

@Justthetonic

Go to:

Settings -> mobile data -> SIM Applications -> tap "Roaming"  -> tap "Select Mode"

I found "automatic" was selected by default.

Tap manual -> then choose National.

Now make sure your numbers are set to the correct format. If not change region to anything other than UK (Settings -> General -> Language and Region -> Region) and then change back to UK region.

MrAhere
Hanging out

I also have the problem where the telephone number format keeps changing (call fails), calls and messages from known contacts do not display names and Belgium is automatically set as the region.

I have spent hours on the phone to Apple trying various fixes and nothing has worked. Only once did someone from Apple say its a Virgin problem.

I have been changing regions etc. in settings for months to get a short term fix, and I am fed up!

I have just tried R101’s fix - thank you - and will see how it goes.

I am appalled by the lack of input from Virgin on this thread and will be looking to leave them very soon. 

Rather than leave Virgin, I've decided to discard the iphone.

I put my reduced SIM back together and put it back into my old Nokia.

Many of my contacts were not recognised because of the +44 that the iphone had added to them.

I can't take photos now but at least I can make calls and text groups of people without problems. Oh, and I don't have to charge it every day!

Jemster
Tuning in

Adding another ME TOO to the list here.

I bought an iPhone in December from Virgin, transferred number across from EE and nearly immediately had the same problem and had worked out the Language & Region fix to get it going again. I then transferred in another 3 numbers (family plan) in January, all iPhones and every single one has had this issue and never had a problem on previous (Tesco, O2, EE) sims. Now I see it's not surprising!

I've made the fix suggested by R101 and it's looking good, but being in Northern Ireland with regular trips across the border, I'm not sure whether Roaming is going to be broken. Has anybody tried International Roaming since applying this fix? Going to be a pain in the nadgers if I have to tweak settings every few weeks.

At least we now know it's an issue with Virgin sims and not a new iOS / iPhone bug.