cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone Dial Assist Problems

fraser4
Just joined

Since I updated to iOS 11.4.1 my iPhone X attempts to use dial assist for mobile numbers which start 07.  The calls then fail with unknown number.  Any number in my contacts that's stored with +44 works fine.  If I switch dial assist off then the 07 numbers work.

I did the firmware update while in Ireland so I'm wondering if the phone thinks it's in Ireland.  I've checked and the region is set to UK.

Does anyone have any ideas?

144 REPLIES 144

Apologies - SIM Toolbox should have read SIM Toolkit.  A very powerful and complex area of the SIM card.

Ashie2112
On our wavelength

Thanks R101.

I removed all the "Belgian" conversations so I should be back to the beginning.   Thank you.

I laboriously went through all my contacts and put +44 in front of all my UK contacts but then I discovered that the phone won't recognise the number (just comes up 'call failed' when trying to call someone) if the 0 is still there (ie 44 (0) 1234 567899) so I then had to go back through them and remove the 0.  Also, if I try to add a contact I have to put +44 in front of the number otherwise it still reverts to the continental format.

But hey. My contacts are all still assigned to their messages a week later. Yesss.

R101
On our wavelength

@Ashie2112 wrote:

Also, if I try to add a contact I have to put +44 in front of the number otherwise it still reverts to the continental format.

That's strange, you shouldn't need to put +44 for UK numbers now. Did you switch region after setting roaming mode to manual?

If you get chance could you try doing the following again:

Go to Settings -> General -> Language and Region -> Region. Select United States and when prompted tap 'Change to English (US)'. Once done do the exact same thing but this time choose United Kingdom and tap 'Change to English (UK)' when prompted.

This should reset your region to UK... You can then try adding a number without +44 and it shouldn't show in a strange format.

Another one to have this issue this week.

Ive never had the issue before but bought a new phone with Virgin mobile with the new SIM card.

The problem began on my refresh date.

The R101 fix appears to have worked for now.

Ashie2112
On our wavelength

Ah yes. Hurrah!

Thanks so much for your help. Hope Father Christmas brings you something nice!

rasb0
On our wavelength

It’s been a week now since using R101’s fix and the issue has not returned.

Thanks again!

derekterry
On our wavelength

Virgin’s replacement SIMs have failed to deliver a solution to the Contacts’ formatting saga so it’s back to the R101 fix until our contracts expire unless they let me cancel without a penalty.

Hi I have just given my aged parents my old iphone 6 and iphone SE but whilst my mother has had no problems on the iphone 6 my father who now has the iphone SE can make calls and send texts but is unable to receive calls or texts.  Can anyone help as I am pulling my hair out.  I am on EE and have never had a problem so am unsure as to how to help them rectify this with virgin.  They never had a problem when using their old iphone 4s.

Any help much appreciated.

I also meant to say that I am not having a problem with the numbers reverting to Belgium setup or not showing under UK (I have turned dial assist off though and switched from UK to Belgium and back again as someone further up suggested).  The only problem I can see is that my father cannot receive calls or texts.

Hi Scrappymax,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community. I am sorry to hear of the phone issues. Has all been sorted since posting? If not, can you try a manual network search on the handset for me?

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill