cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone Dial Assist Problems

fraser4
Just joined

Since I updated to iOS 11.4.1 my iPhone X attempts to use dial assist for mobile numbers which start 07.  The calls then fail with unknown number.  Any number in my contacts that's stored with +44 works fine.  If I switch dial assist off then the 07 numbers work.

I did the firmware update while in Ireland so I'm wondering if the phone thinks it's in Ireland.  I've checked and the region is set to UK.

Does anyone have any ideas?

144 REPLIES 144

derekterry
On our wavelength

Hi Teabag

Yes I have checked the iCloud settings online and can confirm that they are set to UK region.  I think we are really looking for something quite innovative here something that if it has been reported in the many forums has gone right under the radar.  Incidentally when flipping region from UK to another country then back to UK all the alternatives seem to display the phone format correctly before changing back to UK  I think this may be linked to the number of digits within the domestic number and with UK being 11 this may be the way that phone formats are decided rather than purely on region alone.

Hi Ashie2112,

Our apologies that this issue is continuing for you. This is something we do need to investigate further. 

What I will do private message you so I can get your account details.

^Martin

Martin

There are so many of us affected that I'm sure we all appreciate the additional investigation.  All the previously advised fixes have been temporary for many of us.

Derek

Hi derekterry,

Thank you for your post. 

I can assure you once we have an answer to the fault we will post this publicly for all users to see. 

^Martin

R101
On our wavelength

I too have this issue on Virgin Mobile.

After changing region to something other than UK then changing it back the issue is temporarily corrected.. but the issue always returns, sometimes after only a few hours, other times a few days. When this issue occurs no contact names are displayed for incoming calls and SMS unless I manually append +44 to the contact number.

I rang Virgin Mobile and was told to try resetting iPhone network settings but the issue still occurs.

Both my parents have iPhones on Virgin Mobile and experience the same problem regularly. A colleague at work who I'd previously convinced to join Virgin Mobile now has the same issue. I'm yet to find an iPhone user on a different network who has this problem.

It's frustrating for an end user as there's little we can do to investigate due to the locked down nature of iOS. We really need Virgin Mobile to take this issue seriously and open a dialogue with apple to resolve it. It seems iPhones with Virgin Mobile SIM's either regularly think they're roaming in belgium or think the default region should be belgium when it can't detect region?

martin579
Tuning in

My iPhone has started to do this, tried all the fixes above but problem returns at random times. Also when this happens callers not in my contacts go directly to voicemail without any notification until I reset my region back to UK. 

rasb0
On our wavelength

After weeks of changing region and changing back, I find it easier just to do a “soft reset” or “reboot.” It rests the contacts numbers to the correct format, less time and messing about resetting regions. I’ll be using this method until “someone“ comes up with a permanent fix.

Soft reset:for iPhones (I have the SE) with a physical “home” button, hold it down at the same time as the “on/off” button until the white Apple logo reappears on the screen.

For iPhone X Series and newer (without home buttons) soft reset is slightly different: 

1. Press the volume up or volume down button.
  2. At the same time press the sleep/wake button.
  3. Hold until you see the screen above, then slide to power the phone off. (Do not hold this for more than 5 seconds as it will activate the SOS mode on your phone)

cazzawazza
Joining in

I’m so glad I found this thread... at least I know I’m not the only one having these problems!! This issue is driving me absolutely crazy. Have spent hours trying to get Apple support and then Virgin... thought the problem had been rectified when Virgin got me to do the change to Belgium and back again... it works for a varying amount of time, then goes back to showing just numbers and saying “unknown caller” I’ve even upgraded from an SE to an iPhone 8 and it’s still happening!!! I cannot stress enough how annoying and inconvenient it is when you don’t know who is calling you! This must be a Virgin problem and not Apple, because it isn’t happening to other networks (believe me I’ve asked!) If someone from Virgin is reading this.... please, please, PLEASE get this sorted ASAP. It is incredibly frustrating....I imagine you will end up loosing customers if it isn’t addressed soon! Sorry to make a fuss, but needs must! X

rasb0
On our wavelength

Ignore my last temporary fix regarding “soft reset.” It did work initially but it doesn’t anymore!!

I’ve returned to switching Region back and forth!😡

Ashie2112
On our wavelength

I was advised to do a factory reset on my phone by Martin (forum admin on here). I did it a week ago and I have not had the phone number format problem since (it was happening several times a day). This could be the fix we were looking for. Fingers crossed I haven’t jinxed it by writing on here!

If you are able to back your phone up and do a factory reset then it’s worth a try.