cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone Dial Assist Problems

fraser4
Just joined

Since I updated to iOS 11.4.1 my iPhone X attempts to use dial assist for mobile numbers which start 07.  The calls then fail with unknown number.  Any number in my contacts that's stored with +44 works fine.  If I switch dial assist off then the 07 numbers work.

I did the firmware update while in Ireland so I'm wondering if the phone thinks it's in Ireland.  I've checked and the region is set to UK.

Does anyone have any ideas?

144 REPLIES 144

Yes, I’ve turned Dial Assist off. I reset the regional settings yesterday, and by today the numbers have reverted to 2, 3, 2, 2, 2 format again. So I’m now making my way through my Contacts and pre-fixing all the UK numbers with +44.

Thanks for this its been driving me crazy 🙂 now works perfect, never been to Belgium 🙂

Glad to have been of some help @kevinuk1 and having been to both Australia and Lanzarote  since this has not happened again! Most bizarre, know what you mean about driving you crazy though 😊

Did you manage to resolve the problem as I have exactly the same problem as you Nigel ?

I can't manage to even replace all of my contacts as they automatically put a space in when I type the number.

Hi @rapond yes I did by setting my phone to Belgium then back to the UK and making sure dial assist is turned off. It then showed all my numbers in the correct format. Have been abroad since twice and not happened since.

hopefully this will work for you too 🙂

Carole

Hi carolanndrap

Like you, my wife and I both received a text from Virgin Mobile to download a file to configure the iPhone for internet connection.  We were in Cyprus at the time.  On arrival back in the UK we both had dialling assist problems which were easily resolved by disabling it.  However the problem with phone numbers in the wrong format has not been resolved permanently with any or all of the recommended fixes - changing region to non-UK then back to UK, power cycling, rebooting, checking contacts addresses have the correct country. only resolve the situation for a short while - sometimes a couple of times a day.

This is annoying for several reasons including the fact that incoming calls and texts do not show the senders name from Contacts.

I am of the opinion that it is the download file from Virgin that is the route of the problem.  Apple have note been helpful on this issue

Is there anyone else out there that has any alternative recommendations?

Unless anyone has other ideas my only recourse is to reset the iPhone to factory defaults and reinstall which is inconvenient and time consuming.

rasb0
On our wavelength

There is a quick fix I’ve discovered but it’s not permanent for some reason. I’ve no idea why my iPhone is changing region, it’s happening many times a day.

the quick fix. Go in to Settings, go in to General, go in to Language and Region. You’ll probably find the region is still shown as UK, however the phone is set for elsewhere, in my case, it sets to Belgium, despite still showing UK. Select any other Region (I use Uruguay for ease) and set it. The screen will go black and “setting” will be displayed. It will then be set to Uruguay. Now reselect UK and set it. The screen will go black again and “setting” will be displayed. When complete, the Region will show UK. Your phone numbers will now be back to normal UK format.

As I said, this is not a permanent fix, for me any way. I have to repeat it a few times a day. Still searching for the glitch and a permanent solution.

Good luck!

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Are they all saying Belgium? It's just that Virgin SIMs are programmed by Belgian Proximus. Just wondering if there is a correlation 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

derekterry
On our wavelength

My device always shows my region correctly as United Kingdom. I have altered to various other regions then back to UK and it fixes the problem but only temporarily.  I've noticed that there are several different iOS levels quoted. I'm om iOS 13.2 and in the process of currently updating to 13.2.1 - forever hopeful of an Apple bug fix,  Like an earlier post I was also out of the UK when I updated iOS, in my case to 13.1