cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iMessage

Nunnster97
Joining in

Switched to Virgin a month ago and ported my number at the time. iPhone 13 / ios 15.1.1

iMessage initially recognised my ported number but now does not. In message settings, it only recognises the original Virgin number given to me, plus my email address, for iMessage. 

Apple ID settings include the correct (ported) number. Having searched this community, I have tried logging out and back in from iCloud, and removing/reinserting my SIM  

Any recommendations please? Thanks

22 REPLIES 22

Turn off iMessage on the phone, take your sim out, power the phone right off, turn it back on and put the sim in and turn iMessage back on.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi team, I've experienced the similar issue - but managed to get the ported number set corrected after reset network.
However, I still have the same issue activating my iMessage/FaceTime. The AppleID email can be used for iMessage and FaceTime but not my ported phone number.

Would appreciate if you can look into this!

Thanks
Ryan

Thanks for your post on our Community Forums @Anonymous, and a very warm welcome to you!

Can you please confirm that you have manually changed the phone number within the settings on the iPhone?

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi David,

No, I did not manually change it - cause I could not. Whenever I entered my ported number, it's not saved. It would jump to the assigned virgin number (even after the number transfer was successful).

I needed to reset the network and reboot. And after resetting, the ported number appeared on my phone correct.

The iMessage and FaceTime also show the ported number to receive/send messages. However, when I clicked on the number to activate iMessage and FaceTime, it showed a pop-up notice like, "FaceTime (or iMessage) Activation - An error occurred during activation. Please try again".

Some more info:
1/ The iOS has updated to the latest.
2/ Rebooted a few times.
3/ Logged out of my iCloud/AppleID and logged back in. Still only be able to connect to iMessage/FaceTime with my AppleID (email) but not the ported number. The phone number does show up but cannot tick it
4/ Also tried a multiple times of deactivate/activate FaceTime/iMessage.

Thanks,
Ryan

Thanks for coming back to me @Anonymous

Strange that the device isn't saving the ported number when you enter it into the settings - this is a common fix for iPhone's when a number port takes place.

I've never personally known the device to not allow you to save the updated phone number

Have you spoken to Apple in regards to this matter?

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

Anonymous
Not applicable

hi David, 

Thanks for the reply - I think after I rest my network (that led to a reboot), the ported number has appeared correctly. 

The issue here is that even with the number appeared correctly, I cannot activate my iMessage and FaceTime with multiple attempts like other customers have experienced. These include, signed out AppleID, signed back in, removed SIM, and reboot phones, in all different orders being tried. 

Thanks,
Ryan

Thanks for coming back to me and apologies for slightly misunderstanding your post

Can you please advise me if you have reached out to Apple at all in regards to this matter?

This is something that could be fed back to our IT team, but they would request that we rule out any device issues first and foremost

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi David,

Yes, and I am pretty sure it's not coming from iPhone/Apple as I also tried it with another sim card and it worked fine - I have no issue to get iMessage/FaceTime activated with another sim card on the same phone.

Thanks,
Ryan

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Anonymous

Thank you for your reply

What exactly have Apple said about the issue? Our SIMs don't usually disrupt anything at all to do with activating Facetime / iMessage if all Network settings are configured correctly.

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

I have the same problem, number ported this week to a new contract. 

Did anyone actually resolve the issue?