cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iMessage

Nunnster97
Joining in

Switched to Virgin a month ago and ported my number at the time. iPhone 13 / ios 15.1.1

iMessage initially recognised my ported number but now does not. In message settings, it only recognises the original Virgin number given to me, plus my email address, for iMessage. 

Apple ID settings include the correct (ported) number. Having searched this community, I have tried logging out and back in from iCloud, and removing/reinserting my SIM  

Any recommendations please? Thanks

22 REPLIES 22

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @Nunnster97,

Welcome! Thanks for posting.

I am sorry to see that it is not showing.

Please can you update your Apple ID Phone Number, open Settings and tap on your name at the top of the screen. Then, tap Password & Security. Next, tap Edit next to Trusted Phone Number and tap Add a Trusted Phone Number. After entering your iPhone passcode, type in the new Trusted Phone Number.

Let me know how it goes.

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Hi Hayley

Thanks for this. The trusted number was already correct, but I re-entered my number for good measure. I then switched my phone on/off and iMessage on/off. 

iMessage unfortunately still only shows the incorrect number and not my ported/trusted/correct number. 

Grateful for any further thoughts please!

thanks

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @Nunnster97,

Is the correct number showing under the contacts? Have the people you are messaging on iPhone updating your details also? When an iPhone is not updated on another iPhone it will not show the correct number on their phone either.

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Hi Hayley

Under settings\[name]\Name, Phone Numbers, Email it does show my ported number. If I delete that number and then go to set up my ported number again, it pre-fills with the originally-assigned Virgin number (which I overtype with my ported number before saving). 

Similarly, if I turn off iMessage and switch it on again, my ported number does not show but the Virgin number does!

One thing I did not say previously was that iMessage was working fine with my new number but I then received messages saying that the number associated with iMessage would expire in [X] days.

Could it be that the number has not ported correctly? Phone calls and SMSs work in line with my ported number, but I can’t think where else the phone is picking up the previous number from, except the SIM. 

Re your question “Have the people you are messaging on iPhone updating your details also?” - no, they have not changed any details They still have my original, ported number  I didn’t give my original (pre-porting) Virgin number to anyone.

thanks

Tom_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for keeping us updated @Nunnster97. Just to confirm - to amend the number on an iPhone it's usually under Settings > Phone > My Number - that's the one you would usually change to make sure iMessage is updated.

If that's not working for you then I'd like to take a closer look into it - please get back to me via PM (the purple envelope icon) and we'll take it from there.

Tom 

Hi Tom, 

were you able to resolve this?

I have the same issue but my iCloud information is correct, and the phone setting number keeps resetting itself to the Virgin number even when I change it to my ported through number.

thanks in advance

Kieran

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Kierancutler

Thanks for posting on our community forum!

Have you tried all of the above tips? Are you still experiencing the issue after trying these?

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi Travis, 

have tried all of the above but no luck! The Apple ID etc is all fine but phone keeps switching itself back to Virgin temp number and FaceTime etc won’t offer the option of anything but the Virgin number.

kieran

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Kierancutler

I'm going to drop you a private message now to collect some more information, please keep an eye on your inbox.

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs