cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iMessage Activation Issue

Laurajay
Joining in

On August 15th, I ported my mobile number across to Virgin Mobile.  I can not use iMessage or FaceTime with my mobile number (only my email).  I have performed all troubleshooting suggested by Apple and this seems to be a problem with Virgin.  I have seen a number of similar issues on the forum. Any suggestions?

14 REPLIES 14

David_Bn
Forum Team
Forum Team

Thanks for your post on our Community Forums @Lauajay, and a very warm welcome to you!

Sorry to hear of the issues with iMessage and FaceTime since porting your number over to Virgin Mobile.

Can you please access your settings on th iPhone and then manually update the phone number for me?

Once this has been saved, reboot the handset and see if iMessage and FaceTime now work on the ported number.

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

I have done all of this several times.  The phone number is up to date. 

Thanks for coming back to us @Laurajay, can you confirm if the number you've ported over populates on the handset of person you've called?

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

Yes it does. 

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I've seen this problem on forums of other networks and it seems that iPhones have problems updating on ported numbers, so it's not just a Virgin thing.

Surprisingly it seems to sort itself out in time without intervention.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks.  It’s just rather annoying - I thought maybe 24 hours or something would be enough but it’s been four days now!

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hey Laurajay, thanks for the replies. Sorry to hear it's all been updated but the issue with iMessage and Facetime persists. Have you tried to contact Apple support in regard to the issues with their devices on ported numbers as enlli explained above? Let us know where you are with this, we're still eager to help.

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Yes.  Apple says everything is okay at their end.  

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

That's good to know, thanks for checking Laurajay.

Could you tell us if the same issue comes up on any other instant messaging apps like WhatsApp or similar or is it only affecting these two you reported already?
Also, could you test them while connected on your mobile data and not your WiFi to see if the same problem comes up there too?

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs