Menu
grahamsmythe
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

eSIM

I have an Apple iPhone XS Max, purchased from the Apple Store, unlocked from any network.

Currently I have a physical Virgin Mobile SIM card in the phone.

What I'm looking to do is transfer the Virgin Mobile number over to the eSIM that's built into the phone, so I can have another PAYG number on the phone for my personal calls.

Looking for any help anyone might be able to give me.

Deannkirsty
Tuning in
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: eSIM

I’ve spoken to virgin and they have no plans of doing this yet. You can’t even use the cellular part on the Apple Watch on a virgin contract. Hope this helps. I’m waiting to use the eSim too. 

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Graham, 

Thanks for joining our community forum, it's great to have you on board. 

As Deannkirsty has advised eSIMs are something we don't support at present. 

This is something we're currently looking at, but don't have any further information at the moment. 

Thanks, 

Dean C

grahamsmythe
Joining in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

If you can confirm that it's something you're seriously looking at, then I'll stay with VirginMobile.

However, if it's years away, then I'm afraid I'm going to have to move to EE.

Can you please let me know one way or the other.

Nicolasm
Joining in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

I recently switched from EE to virgin. Disappointed to now learn that my Apple Watch is not supported and neither is the eSim on my iPhone. Can I expect virgin to offer support in the near future or do I need to consider returning to EE? 

teabag
Superstar
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

This esim technology is so new, would think it will be a while before it's available on most networks, you only have to look at the Apple support page to see how unsupported they are worldwide at present

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT209096

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only. Customer since 1993.
JohnHD
Joining in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for that  I'll get in touch for PAC numbers for our 6 lines and move to EE who are offering esim now. 

0 Kudos
Sinoos
Tuning in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

eSIM has been introduced in 2016, now we’ve got end of 2018. It’s not so new, VM just overslept moment to be innovative and stay to be obsolete against other providers. That’s why I got only one cheap number in VM. Others got already eSIM, or are about to include it within months. I like VM overall, but that small details makes me angry. I want to have VM on my XS Max, but I can’t and I won’t, because You’re not about to make eSIM. 

Oh, and it’s NOT about apple, many other products support eSIM since at least 2017. 

Lios
Just joined
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I have also reached the conclusion that Virgin is unable to 'do the deal' with Apple to accept VM Esims,

I understand that there are other networks wishing to provide Esim packages that will work with Apple products (iPhone Xs, Xr & watch ) but contract arrangements, and the 'fee' to Apple, are issues. 

I have been waiting for Virgin to announce such a service, but in similar position to other VM customers .... I will be moving across my family of 3 virgin sim only customers to EE later this month if there is no information from Virgin.

Sinoos
Tuning in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

But esim is NOT only Apple feature. Lack of this makes impact on other devices users too. This is already the present of mobile networking, no exuces could be make in here.