cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eSIM

keyidea
Joining in

Being abroad - and my newly arrived SIM card is not working. So i clicked in my account to switch to eSIM. Downloaded QR code, some settings have changed in mobile. However, SIM is not active. Mobile network is not visible and no texts or calls can be received. Would be grateful for your support.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

David_Bn
Forum Team
Forum Team

Good Morning @keyidea, thanks for your post on our Community Forums.

I'm terribly sorry to hear of the issues with the sim card, can you tell me if the sim card was activated whilst it was in the UK, before it was sent out to you?

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Whether it's a physical SIM or an eSIM, as far as I'm aware they can't be activated when you're away from your home network
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

David_Bn
Forum Team
Forum Team

Good Morning @keyidea, thanks for your post on our Community Forums.

I'm terribly sorry to hear of the issues with the sim card, can you tell me if the sim card was activated whilst it was in the UK, before it was sent out to you?

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

Thank you for your response.

No, SIM card hasn't been activated in the UK.. and for eSIM card - the same.. as I am abroad and it won't be possible..

Is there anything else that can be done? I really need to get live 🙂

Thank you for your support

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

All SIM cards need activating on their home network.

The only workaround is to have the SIM sent to a friend in the UK who can activate it for you and forwarding it on.

On a side note Virgin are quite lax on long term use abroad which is designed for holidays and business trip. I know other networks have become less forgiving of late.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi Keyidea, thank you for returning with an update. 

The Sim would need to be activated in the UK as Enlli has correctly advised. It may be worth acquainting yourself with our mobile Roaming and fair use policies.

Would this be a possibility for you? Are you returning to the UK at any point in the near future when you could activate the SIM?

Alternatively we could arrange a replacement SIM being sent to an alternative address of your choice in the UK that could activate the new SIM for you, and get it posted out to your location. 

All the best. 

Molly