Menu
Highlighted
leekier
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

data roaming abroad/dummy sim.

Recently I bought my son a new phone and had to request a new sim. A week later I received a dummy sim and a letter headed  "Unlock data roaming abroad".

I followed the instructions on the letter;

•      switched off the phone
  •      took out the sim and inserted the dummy sim
  •      switched on the phone.

This should have brought up a request for the unlock code. Unfortunately what it actually did was change the language on the phone. I'm not sure if the language was Japanese. Chinese or even Korean but it was not an alphabet I recognised. unreadable messages appeared which I hope I cancelled. i changed the language back to UK English but I had apparently cancelled the code request.

The advice on the letter was not to continue trying but to ring a helpline. I did this from my own mobile as my son's still had the dummy sim in it.

The first person hung up on me.

The second  had great difficulty understanding me but the problem was mutual. She couldn't get her head round the idea I wasn't talking about the phone I was ringing her on and kept telling me that if I could use the phone the problem was solved. I thanked her and explained I'd try to solved the problem online but that hasn't been possible.

There isn't anything appropriate in FAQs, I can't find webchat only advice to phone for help and I don't want to go through that again.

0 Kudos
eastlady2610
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: data roaming abroad/dummy sim.

Am sorry to be the bearer of bad news but Virgin Mobile has no customer service.I've personally been trying for over a month to get an issue sorted and now call the CS dept Non Customer Services.Have reached the decision that after umpteen phone calls and hang ups,lies and rudeness the least I can do is warn people who use sites like HUKD etc that no matter how good the VM deal looks like without back-up when a customer needs help then the deal is worthless.

0 Kudos
leekier
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

TELL ME SOMETHING i DON'T KNOW
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi leekier,

Thanks for your post on the Community and welcome. I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing an issue with your son's SIM card. We would like to look into this further for you, but will need to take more details first. 

I will send you a private message requesting more information so that I can assist with this issue. Just click on the envelope icon at the top of this page.

Kind Regards,

Terri

Virgin Media Forum Team

Running out of data? Check out our top Mobile data tips

0 Kudos
leekier
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Terri, but I finally got hold of someone who could understand the problem. It seems that these dummy sim cards are sent out willynilly.

Apparently  I received it because I had requested a new sim for my son's phone. According to the young lady I spoke to the phone/account is already unlocked for data roaming abroad, so I had the hassle for nothing. 

It was a waste of my time, her time, your time and the time of three other two Virgin employees.

It's a pretty poor way to run a company but at least it strengthens my determination to change provide once my own phone is paid for. 

0 Kudos