cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will my VM Sim card work in a non-VM phone?

StephanieJ
Joining in

My VirginMedia mobile phone was stolen and has been blacklisted. VM were very good and sent me a new Sim card very quickly.

My insurance company is sending me a voucher for a new phone that I must spend in Argos. Will my VirginMedia Sim card automatically work in a phone bought from there, please?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You can put it into any other Virgin Moblie phone, or an “unlocked” phone. You can buy phones that are not locked (SIM Free) to any network (I always do as I use pay as you go & want the freedom to change provider without the hassle of unlocking the phone). But bear in mind these will be more expensive, as locked phones are subsidised by the network trying to sell you it.

https://www.argos.co.uk/sd/mobile-phones-unlocked/ 

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

3 REPLIES 3

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You can put it into any other Virgin Moblie phone, or an “unlocked” phone. You can buy phones that are not locked (SIM Free) to any network (I always do as I use pay as you go & want the freedom to change provider without the hassle of unlocking the phone). But bear in mind these will be more expensive, as locked phones are subsidised by the network trying to sell you it.

https://www.argos.co.uk/sd/mobile-phones-unlocked/ 

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thank you very much. My insurers will only give me a voucher for Argos or Curry's, and said that Argos was better for phones, so I will have to get an unlocked phone. I don't have the choice of getting one from VirginMedia

Ryan_N
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Most handset come unlocked these days in complete honesty @StephanieJ - the link @nodrogd has provided is most helpful 🙂 

Cheers, 

Ryan.