cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi no longer visible on London underground

ruswit
On our wavelength

Hi all, 

I noticed for the first time today that the usual virgin media WiFi network isn't there on the tube.

Is this being phased out?

[MOD EDIT: Please see update on post 111 here]

141 REPLIES 141

iXNine
Dialled in

I got in touch with VM last night to see whether I could jump the queue for the Virgin to O2 migration. It's possible, but the staff haven't been given the same benefits to offer as are being promised here on the VM site for those that wait their turn: "you'll pay the same price on your new O2 plan and receive double the data or unlimited data, plus unlimited texts and voice calls." The only solution they could offer was to activate a new O2 account of similar value and close my VM account (involving a new credit check). I opted not to for now.

It's important to remember that forum moderators and call centre staff are not the problem – they're only working with what they've been told or know. The issue is with the higher-ups who hide in the system and never face accountability. Agreed, it's an absolute s**tshow, but let's not take it out on people when it's not their fault.

I still don't understand why you, a communications company (!) didn't make the effort to contact your loyal mobile customers to warn them of all this and provide this explanation. This, plus your insistence on annoying sales calls instead of being willing to send information about new plans via email, have persuaded me that the time has come to move on.

Agreed what an absolute shambles, no compensation offered for loss of service, no public facing apology, no real ETA other than the end of 2023, no priority for those affected...

Embarrassing... Looks like a petition might be only way forward to embarrass them into responding or mass exodus which it's beginning to look like they couldn't really care about.

This is a real shame. The possibility to sort this out clearly exists, it's just that O2/Virgin won't to do whatever technical work is needed to allow Virgin customers access to the "Wifi Extra" SSID.  This is unlike Vodafone for example, who have given Lebara customers access to their SSID (and presumably all their other MVNOs as well).

I got a Lebara SIM and tested this on another forum member's advice and it is working, so I guess as someone who regularly commutes on a line which doesn't yet have 4G signal I'll be porting my number to them.  Shame Virgin / O2 couldn't  / wouldn't do the same.

Ah yeah I feel bad for you 😞 luckily I am on a 30 day contract and only £9pm, so can get out ok. I know how you feel though, I got offered a £5pm sky mobile deal but luckily declined when I realised they didn’t offer tube wifi. It can be a huge differentiator for people, but a lot of organisations just don’t get it.

im shocked that 3 weeks later nobody at VM or O2 has taken control here. I guess they aren’t seeing people leaving in droves, and have more larger issues to manage in their crumbling organisation. 

Your right sad part is they don't really care and that's why they are doing. We are expendable and unless we get a petition together, they won't do anything.

They will react when they are forced to react sadly... Save money by cutting corners and breaching contracts 

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Sadly there is no breach of contract as this was classed as an Additional Service and not part of your contract.

Virgin / O2 have around 25 million subscribers. A couple of thousand leaving is a drop in the ocean

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hakdaddy74
On our wavelength

Based on your arrogant response and you claiming this affects only a couple of thousand customers should we assume you work for virgin media or are you making this up?

Well if it was advertised as a service and this was part of the enticement / inducement to select their service over another provider then it's a matter for the ASA and OFCOM. The contract small print may state some kind of service level but frankly the length of time and the nature of the loss of provision goes beyond any measure of reasonableness, unforeseen eventuality or force majeure. 

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Hakdaddy74 wrote:

Based on your arrogant response and you claiming this affects only a couple of thousand customers should we assume you work for virgin media or are you making this up?

I don't work for Virgin but I have been on this forum for over 10 years and watched the changes from EE to Vodafone to O2 etc and watched Virgin's attitude throughout. So I have a very good idea of the mentality of the company.

I wish you good luck with Virgin...you are going to need it!

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks