cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi calling not working+

mikefraser
Up to speed

Since Virgin Mobile switched to o2, our signal has deteriorated significantly, so WiFi callling is now needed. My phone is a Motorola Edge G20 lite, which has WiFi calling enabled, and that function works on the Three Sim (its dual sim). WiFi calling is not however showing up on the Virgin Sim. I spoke to one of your agents a couple of days ago, who confirmed it had not been enabled at your end, and said he had now set it up, but it still doesn't work. I've tried all the usaul things (restarted the router, powered the phone off completely for 10 minutes in case the update needed to be forced through, and so on, to no avail). It looks as though it has, for whatever reason, not been provisioned, as looking at the phone settings they are completely different for the Three sim compared to the Virgin one. Any ideas?

34 REPLIES 34

Yes I've done all of that, thanks. 4g calling and WiFi calling works fine on this handset with another operators sim card installed, it's only Virgin Mobile that doesn't work. Just to be clear, 4g calling and WiFi calling does not appear as an option with the Virgin sim installed. It does appear, and works, if you put in a sim from Three. If you put the Virgin sim into another handset then 4g calling etc works from that sim. It looks like your network is not authorising this handset to use 4g/wifi calling for some reason.

Appreciate that @mikefraser for the forum update.

May I ask what model of Motorola it is?
Has this issue always occurred or was it recently?
Did this issue occur on any other handset?

Kind regards,
Ilyas.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

As per message 15 in tnis thread, its a Motorola Edge 20 Lite. Virgin Mobile wifi calling has never worked, and the issue is not occuring on other handsets. I've just had another look at your list of handsets that support wifi calling, and no Motorola devices appear, but that list has not been updated since May 2022and it says others coming. Is this perhaps the problem? If so, then maybe someone needs to update the list!!!

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I don't see Virgin adding any more handsets with the pending move of everyone onto O2 this year

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Interesting point. I've just looked at the WiFi calling FAQs on the 02 website, which basically says if you didn't buy your phone from 02, and thus don't have 02 firmware, you can't use WiFi or 4g calling! This whole move to 02 is looking less and less attractive...

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

All the networks put that proviso up re firmware. However, O2 have not had special firmware on their phones since the start of 2018. ..5 years ago! It's all been bog standard manufacturers offering 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Hi Mikefreser, thanks for the message and sorry to hear that you are having issues with the WiFi calling. 

Can you confirm if you have tried this indoors and outdoors and does this happen one one location or multiple?

Chris.

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I'll be surprised if WiFi Calling works outdoors 

Hi mikefraser, Is there a particular location you find that this never connects? or is it the same everywhere? ^Chris. 

It's everywhere, at all times (and definitely not outside 😂🤪)