cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi calling not working+

mikefraser
Up to speed

Since Virgin Mobile switched to o2, our signal has deteriorated significantly, so WiFi callling is now needed. My phone is a Motorola Edge G20 lite, which has WiFi calling enabled, and that function works on the Three Sim (its dual sim). WiFi calling is not however showing up on the Virgin Sim. I spoke to one of your agents a couple of days ago, who confirmed it had not been enabled at your end, and said he had now set it up, but it still doesn't work. I've tried all the usaul things (restarted the router, powered the phone off completely for 10 minutes in case the update needed to be forced through, and so on, to no avail). It looks as though it has, for whatever reason, not been provisioned, as looking at the phone settings they are completely different for the Three sim compared to the Virgin one. Any ideas?

34 REPLIES 34

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey mikefraser,

Welcome back to the community and thanks for taking the time to post.
I’m sorry to hear of the issues that you’re having with your WiFi calling issues, I would be happy to take a further look into this for you but first I would need to confirm a few details via private message, please look out for my message and we can get started.
Kind Regards,
Steven_L

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Thanks for confirming your details via private message, I have looked into this and WiFi calling has definitely been activated on your account, I have turned it off and back on again, hopefully this will refresh the connection and the feature work. Please can you also reboot your handset one more time for me?

Kind Regards,

Steven_L

Thanks for the quick response. Still not working, I'm afraid. I've tried taking the Three sim out, so its only yours in the phone, but the WiFi calling option does not appear.  Take the Virgin Sim out, replace it with Three and hey presto, WiFi calling appears and works on that network, which seems odd. Looks like a lost cause, so I'll have to think about changing mobile suppliers, as 02 around here is pretty poor.

Thanks for coming back to us mikefraser, I have ran this through the system and it has advised that a new sim card may resolve the issues. Would you like me to arrange a new sim card to be sent out to you?

Kind Regards,

Steven_L

Well, lets give it a try! It just seems very odd that one operators sim seems to work with WiFi calling, and another's doesn't, so please go ahead!

Thanks for coming back to me mikefraser, I have now ordered the new sim card and this should be with you in the next 48 hours.

Please let us know how it goes, when you receive the new sim card.

Thanks,

Steven_L

Will do!

Don't hold your breath while waiting for a solution to this. I have had the same problem, along with a 'Refreshing sim data' message for about at least a year. I have had 2 new sim cards, the second one having been delivered today. I used to have no problem with wifi calling, however a year or so ago the fault started.

Let me run this past you...

Inside my flat I cannot make/receive calls without being connected to wifi calling, nor can I send or receive texts.

As I said, today, sat in my flat without wifi calling, and the occasional 'Refreshing sim data' message for company, I opened the envelope and looked at the instructions for activating my "shiny new sim card". The instructions were that I send a certain text to Virgin to let them know that I was ready to change sim cards. Then, once I had inserted the "shiny new sim card" I was to text a code number to Virgin. I would receive a text in reply to confirm that the card had been activated. If I didn't receive such a message, I was to send the code anyway and wait up to 24 hours for a confirmatory text message.

Can anyone else see a possible flaw in this plan?

As  footnote, I again checked my hpone while I was out and about earlier today. The wifi calling feature was active (although I was nowhere near any wifi, and as is normal I could call or text anyone. Back in the flat - not signal.

Virgin have told me several times now that I need a new handset, however when I see so many people with the same wifi calling or refreshing sin data messages, I am reluctant to spend money to only find that the problem still exists.

(For information, I have taken my phone to a phone repair shop twice in the past year and they have found nothing wrong with it.) 

Hi WG1316,

Thank you for reaching back out, as the Sim hasn't changed anything and you are able to use WiFi calling sometimes this does point to a phone issue, you can try doing a factory rest on the phone or if you are able to try your Sim in a Friend or Family members phone to see if the same happens.

Regards

Paul.