Menu
Highlighted
Blackbart
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

WiFi Calling on iPhones

Can someone confirm that there is no provision on the virgin mobile system for WiFi calling? Specifically with an iPhone. I am thinking of taking up virgin mobile but coverage in my rural area is very flakey. A friend with Three has a means of making calls via his WiFi. What a good idea! 

Can someone help. 

Thank you

Stephen

0 Kudos
teabag
Community elder
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: WiFi Calling on iPhones

No WiFi calling at all with Virgin ☹️

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only x2. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos
Blackbart
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I gather somewhere on the sprawling web of virgin media its possible to check mobile coverage against a postcode. I’m dubious about that as I’m sure there are many black holes within great coverage so I reluctant to commit to a contract of a couple of years or more. I have a business phone with O2 and the coverage borders on the non exsistant. 

Thanks

Stephen

0 Kudos
paulchambers061
Super solver
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

the best checkers for real user experience... 

https://opensignal.com

https://checker.ofcom.org.uk/mobile-coverage

Blackbart
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thank you

i notice that neither of the links you sent include virgin media as a provider. Does this mean virgin media mobile are in fact another provider under a guise? Also they imply o2 coverage is good where I am which is blatently not the case.

its such a shame that I’m sitting in a home with fab virgin WiFi yet virgin can’t get their phones to utilise it. When I leave the house it seems good coverage everywhere. Hence the point of this thread.

thanks to all

0 Kudos
paulchambers061
Super solver
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

vm uses ee for their signal. they are an mvno, meaning they use one of the main companies for their signal

Blackbart
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for that info, good to know as I’ve just taken out a contract with EE for a mobile. When they found out I was a Virgin customer they gave me a great deal. The WiFi calling is a real plus. EE offer the best signal in my rural area but I seem to elude a good signal so it’s a real plus. I’m going to risk the reports of bad customer service.

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Problem sorter
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

EE have the best 4G network, according to official OFCOM data.

They are also busy adding many new base stations in order to provide a national network for the emergency services in a couple of years' time.  I don't know if all of these will be available to MVNOs like Virgin.

alexpresland
Dialled in
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I understand that Wi-Fi Calling is already available on Virgin Mobile's business proposition and will become available to consumers in Q2/2019 (some time between April and June 2019).

0 Kudos
japitts
Knows their stuff
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Interesting, I've had a quick look around and all I can find is https://www.virginmediabusiness.co.uk/connectivity/business-mobile/ which doesn't mention it. It would be lovely to think Virgin Mobile could make this work, but (sceptical view, others are available)...

1: In order for WiFi calling to be seamless, it needs to support handover to and from the mobile network - this needs VoLTE/4G calling support, which would require VM to have agreement with EE for this. That may yet be a problem, but only the techs & commercial people at Virgin would know for sure.

2: For quite a while last year, Vodafone was promising that SMS over WiFi calling was due. They have now quietly dropped this and aren't giving any dates. So don't believe anything until it actually happens. I can't imagine not being able to use text messaging on WiFi, but there you go.

0 Kudos