cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi Calling add new models

Sappermajor
Up to speed

Hi VM how about opening the WiFi Calling to all suitably equipped Android mobiles. The signal from Vodafone at home is not as strong as the old T-Mobile/EE ones. Barely two bars now!!

Not such a problem for my wife with an iPhone but the list of supported Android phones is  limited to a few Samsung models.

Other providers don't have these restrictions.

Nick

15 REPLIES 15

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Other providers do have WiFi Calling device restrictions - but the earlier the provider started doing WiFi Calling, the more models support it, and so there are more models that support WiFi Calling across multiple networks compared to those which also support Virgin Mobile UK's version.

It needs the device manufacturer to include the setting for Virgin Mobile's version of WiFi Calling (and 4G Calling) for it to work. So only certain manufactuers have done this - for Android it's Samsung and Huawei

Because of the way it's included, it's why all mobile networks only guarantee it will work for listed devices sourced directly from them.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

Sofia_B
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Sappermajor

Thanks for your post 🙂 

I'm sorry to hear we don't currently provide Wi-Fi calling options on your device, I appreciate this is frustrating and we apologise for any inconveneince caused. 

As helpfully advised by BenMcr, this is decided by the device manufacturer to include the appropriate settings for Virgin mobile Wi-Fi/4G calling. 

Can you confirm what device make/model you have? 

Thanks, 

Sofia
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Well as my Polish S20+ works on Vodafone, EE, Three and O2 for WiFi Calling one can only assume that Virgin use some half baked unique  system.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The S20+ will work when running the 'BTU' firmware which is the UK 'SIM free' version and the version Virgin Mobile sell, so if the Polish version doesn't work then Samsung haven't included the Virgin Mobile UK settings in that variant firmware.

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Can't check as I binned the last of the families Virgin SIM cards last year.

Hope they get VoLTE working before the shut down of 3G as many 5G customers will not be happy having to drop back to the 1990's to make a call.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Again, VoLTE works on an S20+ with the UK BTU firmware - although you do also need to be on the Vodafone radio network - it's not available when you're on the EE radio network.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

BTU firmware is available for most Samsung phones and tablets via https://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/ 

The download links include  instructions on how to download and install the firmware. (doing so is at your own risk, although I've used it in the past  for various Samsung devices and had no issues)

You need to search for the device by the model eg G985F for the S20+

Screenshot below shows the firmware download page, and at the right hand side links to download odin and instructions.

s20+.jpg

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

I have a Sony Xperia 10 ii that I bought a year ago. It runs Android 11.

There are no Sony phones on the list.

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

How far are you into your contract? As your signal is now poorer it may be time to consider a move.