cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi Calling: Text Delays

Ian_Nunthorpe
Up to speed

Is it just me? I have an iPhone 7 set up with WiFi Calling because of poor Mobile reception within my house. Recently. I have found long delays in receiving Security Code Texts from various websites. Often the Security Codes have timed out long before I have received them. In many cases, it can be hours before I receive the Security Code Texts.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

From my experience (when I was with Virgin but left due to this issue) the text issue resolved itself when Wificalling was turned off.

Outgoing text messages worked OK.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

9 REPLIES 9

ps2mint
Dialled in

Long term issue with Virgin. No fix currently in sight.

Does this issue of delayed Text Messages only affect Text Messages arriving via the WiFi Calling route?

Does it also affect outgoing Text Messages?

From my experience (when I was with Virgin but left due to this issue) the text issue resolved itself when Wificalling was turned off.

Outgoing text messages worked OK.

As far as I'm aware the WiFi Calling from Virgin doesn't currently support text messaging, only calls.

The Giggitty 1

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Virgin WiFi Calling is supposed to do text.

It's a difficult thing to implement technically due to the GSM standards for text being set down in the days of pagers over 30 years ago. Most carriers did voice first then SMS. (Added within the last couple of months in the case of Vodafone and sometime soon with O2!.)

Virgin jumped straight in and it seems with very little large scale testing, hence these problems. 

It seems nobody has a clue how to fix it, which does not surprise me knowing the number of niggling faults on Virgin's system which have run a year or more. 

If you need WiFi Calling and texts (especially banks etc, then I would suggest changing supplier when your contact runs out.

The change to Vodafone will not cure things as the fault lies in Virgin's core network systen

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Could be an iPhone issue. Both me and the Mrs have WiFi calling active. She has an iPhone and me Android. She has problems receiving bank 2fa texts. (Santander particularly), me no such problems.

Learning something new everyday 🙂

The Giggitty 1

See also: Solved: Passcode Delays on Landline - Virgin Media Community - 4757433

See in particular when the messages on this thread move on to discussing Passcode Delays on WiFi Calling.