cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wi-fi calling

BrianBrian86
Joining in

Hi,

I've been with virgin mobile for a while as part of an infinity package with virgin media. I recently purchased a new phone which i have been trying to activate wi-fi calling on, device is Samsung galaxy S21 5G.

I was told originally that i needed a purple sim for this to work so i asked Virgin to send me one. New sim arrived and it is red same as my old one and wi-fi calling still does not work. I have called again to explain i was expecting a purple sim to this time be told the red sim is wi-fi calling enabled and it must be an issue with the phone.

Is someone able to give me a straight answer on this? Do i need a magic purple sim or is my phone the problem?

Many thanks

7 REPLIES 7

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Shouldn't need a new SIM as I think they have changed again.

There are 2 settings on the S21 to get WiFi Calling. The first is in the pull down menu (it's one of the round buttons.

The second is in the dialer application under settings. Both should be switched on.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@BrianBrian86 wrote:

or is my phone the problem?

I've got a S21+ purchased direct from Samsung and I've got WiFi Calling working fine.

Where did you purchase the phone from and can I just check which version of the phone you have? 

You can find this in Settings > About phone > Software information and then Service provider software version.

The version I have shows as 'BTU'

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. Model is S21 5G and was purchased from AO.com (tried to purchase from virgin but out of stock)

Just to confirm I have turned on wi-fi calling both the ways suggested but although it let's me toggle wi-fi calling on it doesn't actually work and I don't have a WiFi calling symbol in the banner at the top of my phone.

Software version is SAOMC_SM-G991B_OMX_BTU_12_0008 BTU/BTU,BTU/EUX/BTU.

Thanks again

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Ok good that is the SIM Free UK variant of the phone and the same one I've got and that Virgin Mobile supply.

So it is the right phone for the firmware. If you've got it all enabled on the device, and you've got a current SIM, I think it's a setting at Virgin Mobile's end that needs updating.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

Thank you that's really helpful. 

This is what I've been trying to work out with virgin on the phone but the two people I've spoken to haven't really understood. 

If anyone from virgin able to check the settings for my account/sim?

Hi there @BrianBrian86

Thank you so much for your post and I'm so sorry to see you are facing this issue with WiFi calling. 

I'd be more than happy to take a look into this for you. I will send you a PM now so we can investigate, please keep an eye out for the purple envelope in the top right corner of your screen alerting you to a new message. 

Thank you.

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You could try this first.

Whilst on WiFi switch on aeroplane mode. Wait for it to activate and the switch WiFi back on. If it is working you should get the WiFi calling symbol.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks