Menu
teabag
Superstar
Message 11 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Re: Voicemail SMS Notifications + Missed Call Alerts

@Lindsey_C wrote:

Hi Ian,

Thanks for getting back to me and confirming this.

As this is a feature of the handset, and not a service provided by ourselves on the network, we would recommend getting in touch with Apple to see what support they can provide.

Thanks

Lindsey_C

The voicemail sms alerts is a service provided by Virgin and can be controlled by turning on or off when ringing Virgin voicemail and going to the options menu.

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only. Customer since 1993.
ianw22
Tuning in
Message 12 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Hi Lindsey

I don't understand your response.

The voicemail sms alerts is a service provided by Virgin and can be controlled by turning on or off when ringing Virgin voicemail and going to the options menu. I have set this to give me sms alerts when someone leaves a voicemail message.

I get the sms alerts if the voicemail message is left at the time my phone is on but if my phone is off when the voicemail message is left, when I switch the phone back on again, I don't get the SMS alert.

With other sms messages, I do get them when I switch the phone back on.

So how is this an issue with my phone ?

Thanks

Ian
Message 13 of 22
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Apologies Ian, I misunderstood what you meant when you described how you set this option up as there is an option on the iPhone to be able to set this up through the handset only. 

I have emailed our support team about this to see if we can get clarification about whether this is a fault with the service and see what we can dot o resolve it.

Thanks

Lindsey_C

0 Kudos
Highlighted
ianw22
Tuning in
Message 14 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Lindsey

I await hearing from you once you have heard from the support team.

Thanks

Ian
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Hi ianw22,

Thanks for your patience with this. I have hear back from the support team and they have advised that this service is definitely not working as it should be.

They are going to do some tests from their end to see if this is an issue with just your service or if this is a wider issue, this can take a couple of weeks. 

If this is only affecting your service, they would need to reset your mailbox to make sure this is no corrupted. If they do need to do this, resetting your mailbox will delete any saved messages. However, they would not be able to do this without details of your account so it can't be done without warning.

As soon as I have any further information, I will pop back to you. If they do advise they need to reset your mailbox, I will PM you asking for your details so they are able to do this for you.

Thanks

Lindsey_C

0 Kudos
ianw22
Tuning in
Message 16 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Hi Lindsey

Thanks for getting back to me and I await hearing back from you on the voicemail messaging problem.

Regarding missed call alerts when no voicemail message is left, these were apparently stopped in September 2018 because many Virgin Mobile subscribers didn't want them and they couldn't be turned off.

I don't understand why subscribers could not have the option of turning them on or off. This can be done with EE and Virgin uses the EE network.

Missed call alerts are important. For example if a family member phones and doesn't leave a message when the phone is switched off or the person is on a train underground, you won't know that person has called.

Is it true that missed call alerts were switched off for everybody in September 2018 and if so, why can't they be put back with subscribers having the option of having them on or off as with EE.

Thanks

Ian
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Hi Ian,

I'm really sorry but it is true that the missed call alert option was turned off for all customers and unfortunately this isn't something we are able to turn back on. It was a business decision to remove these for our customers. 

I will pass on your feedback to the relevant departments though as we are always looking for ways to improve the service we provide.

Thanks

Lindsey_C

0 Kudos
ianw22
Tuning in
Message 18 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Hi Lindsey

Ok thanks for the confirmation that missed call alerts have indeed been switched off for everybody.

I await your update on the voicemail problem.

Regards

Ian
0 Kudos
japitts
Super solver
Message 19 of 22
Flag for a moderator

@ianw22 wrote:

I don't understand why subscribers could not have the option of turning them on or off. This can be done with EE and Virgin uses the EE network.

I don't know what the outcome of the specific issue here will be, but this comment - unfortunately for ianw22 - goes to the root of MVNO service. Virgin is not EE - yes they rent use of EE's radio network but have their own set of products, services & pricing.

PlusNet uses EE, but do they have the same services as EE? No. Asda Mobile uses EE, but do they have the same services? No. I could go on. If you want a particular service that EE offers but Virgin (or any other provider who "uses EE") doesn't, then I'm sorry to say the answer is very simple. You have a choice of provider, and Virgin Mobile has a different offer to that of Tesco Mobile, Vodafone, GiffGaff, O2, Asda Mobile, and indeed every other provider out there.

0 Kudos
ianw22
Tuning in
Message 20 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Hi Lindsey

Has there been any progress on the voicemail problem. You said "I have heard back from the support team and they have advised that this service is definitely not working as it should be."

Thanks

Ian
0 Kudos