Menu
Highlighted
ianw22
Tuning in
Message 1 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Voicemail SMS Notifications + Missed Call Alerts

I've just set up Voicemail SMS messages which work fine when my iPhone 8 is on and in range.

However, if my mobile is switched off, I don't receive the voicemail SMS messages when I switch the phone back on and so don't know if I have messages. I have to phone voicemail to check each time which can't be right.

I receive regular SMS messages if my phone is off when they were sent as soon as I switch it back on but not voicemail SMS alerts when the phone is back on.

Surely I should get the voicemail SMS alerts when the phone is back on as well.

Also, can you confirm that missed call SMS call alerts from when the phone is off no longer work on Virgin mobile or can these be set up. I want to have them.

Thanks

0 Kudos
teabag
Superstar
Message 2 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Re: Voicemail SMS Notifications + Missed Call Alerts

Can't comment on the voicemail SMS's.

But the missed call SMS's, was a feature which a bit excessive for most and could not be turned off at all, so Virgin made the decision to withdraw the service last September  https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/News/Missed-Call-Alerts/ba-p/3830989

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos
ianw22
Tuning in
Message 3 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Teabag, very helpful. Does anybody else know about my other question re missed calls SMS's ?
0 Kudos
japitts
Super solver
Message 4 of 22
Flag for a moderator

I don't know the specifics of how VM's setup is designed to work, but to compare with EE's setup might help in establishing what scenario you're querying...

1: Phone is unreachable, voicemail is left: Voicemail symbol activated, and (assuming CLI is present) text message "from" the caller is sent to say "I have left you a message"

2: Phone is unreachable, no voicemail left: Assuming CLI is present, text message "from" the caller is left to say "I called but left no message" (think this is where VM doesn't have missed call texts??)

3: Phone is on, call reaches phone but is diverted to VM: If a voicemail is left, scenario 1 applies. If no voicemail left, no further action.

0 Kudos
ianw22
Tuning in
Message 5 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Thanks japitts, I am querying your scenario 1. No text message comes in this situation which did happen when I was with EE. I've just moved to Virgin Mobile.

What is CLI ?

I agree with your scenario 2 as VM apparently doesn't have missed call alerts anymore. With EE you could turn this on or off.

I agree with your scenario 3.

So why is your scenario 1 not giving me a text message when my phone becomes reachable again?
0 Kudos
japitts
Super solver
Message 6 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Ah, ok, think we may have nailed it.

Firstly CLI is "Caller Line Identification" but basically caller-ID. If VM doesn't support a text in scenario-2, I wouldn't expect them to in scenario-1 either... it's basically just the wording of the message that's different.

This is where others may be able to clarify, I don't have Virgin Mobile so am not familiar with their setup.

0 Kudos
ianw22
Tuning in
Message 7 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Yes I reckon you are right. It looks to me that cancelling missed call alerts has also cancelled voice message alerts by text if the message is left when the phone is switched off or out of range.

This means that each time I am back in range I have to call the voicemail to see if I have messages.

Could someone at Virgin mobile please get back to me on this. If i'm right, the solution maybe to allow customers the option of having or not having missed call alerts as with EE and other providers.

I'm waiting for a quick reply please !!
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 22
Flag for a moderator

HI ianw22,

Thanks for your first post and welcome to our forums page.

Very sorry to hear you are having trouble with these messages coming through. Can you expand on how you have set up this messaging service please? Did you do this through your handset or through an app?

Thanks

Lindsey_C

0 Kudos
ianw22
Tuning in
Message 9 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Hi Lindsey

I used my handset, I have an iPhone 8.

Thanks

Ian
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Hi Ian,

Thanks for getting back to me and confirming this.

As this is a feature of the handset, and not a service provided by ourselves on the network, we would recommend getting in touch with Apple to see what support they can provide.

Thanks

Lindsey_C

0 Kudos