cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin mobile wind noises

Cyman
Just joined

Does anyone else get a rushing noise like a howling wind while waiting for someone to answer when you ring a number using Virgin Mobile?  This happens every time and only stops once the call is accepted, it happens with both mobile and landline numbers.

36 REPLIES 36

paulchambers061
Problem sorter

Yeah, that's happened to me before, sounds like the interference on radio between stations. Like you say it disappears when the call is answered. Maybe a local mast doing that is my guess.

same issue here - on sim only - new sim Still happening, did you get it resolved?

Hetty_R
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hi petebrown71, 

Welcome to our community forums! 

I'm sorry to hear you're having some problems with your new sim card. 

Would you be kind enough to tell us a bit more about the problems you're experiencing? Is it on all incoming and outgoing calls? Is it only happening sometimes? Any specific networks? 

If you haven't already I would recommend performing a manual network search to see if that makes any difference. It is also worth trying your sim in another handset if you have the means to do that. 

Look forward to hearing from you, 

Hetty_R

Yeasin
Joining in

Yes. It's so loud sometimes have to hold the phone away from my ear. 

Hi Yeasin,

Can you please confirm which of the questions you're saying yes to?

Have you tried the SIM in a different handset?

Alex_Rm

Hi Alex,

The "yes" answer was in relation to the original post. 

Best wishes,

Yeasin

RobT0
Tuning in

Hi,

Just a quick note to add to this issue, which I can see hasn't been solved yet! 

I also get this problem. BUT only when using WiFi calling. Every single time I make an outgoing call the noise happens. It is VERY loud - I also have to remove my ear away from the receiver. I does go very shortly after the calling party answers. However it takes a few seconds to clear and the first words are usually lost...

I have turned WiFi calling off and used the 'normal' mobile network - it doesn't happen, ever. I have tried a different SIM in my instrument and it still happens. I believe that this is related to the WiFI calling software. I am using an iPhone 7 Software version 14.4.

I'm happy to provide more information if required.

Best wishes

Rob.

Sofia_B
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @RobT0

Welcome to the community and thanks for your first post, we're happy to have you with us 🙂 

I'm very sorry to hear this is happening over Wi-Fi calling, are there any issues with the Wi-Fi itself? Or is this performing as it should? 

Does this issue only happen on this device when connected to Wi-Fi calling? Do you have any other devices you're able to check the Wi-Fi calling on? This will help us see if the issue is device specific.  

Thanks. 

Sofia
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Hi Sofia,

You wrote: "I'm very sorry to hear this is happening over Wi-Fi calling, are there any issues with the Wi-Fi itself? Or is this performing as it should?". I answer:

My router (Netgear D7000v2) shows no errors. My connection speed is good - 80Mbps Down and 20Mbps Up. There are no "connection dropouts" and the ping to bbc.com is typically this: 

round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 9.237/13.859/28.283/4.985 ms no packets lost in a test run with 100 packets.

For another test I swapped out my Netgear Router/Hub for a TP-Link Archer C50. Nothing changed. The WiFi Calling still exhibits this issue.

My Internet Service provider is PlusNet.

You wrote: "Does this issue only happen on this device when connected to Wi-Fi calling?". I answer:

As I stated in my initial post. Yes.

You wrote: "Do you have any other devices you're able to check the Wi-Fi calling on?". I answer:

I only use "Virgin Mobile WiFi" on my Virgin Mobile SIM in my iPhone 7, Software version 14.4. The only other phone that I have is locked to another network - so, I cannot put the Virgin SIM into a different phone. However as my iPhone 7 is unlocked I can put my "SIM from another company (O2)" into it and their WiFi calling works fine.

The noise existed from the very start of my using the Virgin Media WiFi calling, easily over two years ago. When I first started I had the problem about 50% of the time that I made a call. Now, and certainly for the past 10 months, it is every single call.

Within the last month I have added a CISCO-IP telephone for my work to my network. This phone is connected using the physical wired network. I have no service problems with this device and the call quality is excellent - better than the WiFi!

However, I suspect that all the above is useful but probably irrelevant because of what I'm going to tell you next ...

When I have used "public WiFi", (e.g. BT-Wifi at a service station or a Hospital WiFi) the noise still happens. Indeed when I used the WiFi HotSpot on a bus or train - before the pandemic - the problem existed.

I hope that the above helps you get to the root of the problem.

Best wishes,

Robert.