cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin WiFi hotspot

Nagasaki
Joining in

Hi all. I am currently at a Travelodge that has WiFi provided by VM.

But I can not connect to it as the location of the hotspot at the hotel is in the wrong location on the map in the virgin connect app.

How can I get this fixed? I spoke to someone in the in app chat and they just blamed my phone for error.

It's clearly not my phone. The marker on the map is in the wrong spot, about 300m up the road Vs being on the hotel's location on the map so the app thinks I'm to far away to connect and won't even try.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I think there is a misunderstanding here.

The WiFi provided in a Travelodge will be by Virgin Media Business. That's not the same as the hotspots provided for cable and mobile customers.

The Connect app won't provide free access to the WiFi in a Travelodge.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

12 REPLIES 12

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

What have Travelodge said about it?

They have no control, the WiFi is managed and provided by VM.

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Can you not log in like other guests that are not with Virgin? Does it have to be by the app?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Yes and no. The WiFi is not free. It's £3 a day.

But it is free for VM customers. But to connect to it, it has to be done via the VM connect app. But since it shows the WiFi is up the road and not at the hotel the app won't let me connect.

cje85
Trouble shooter

The location on the map doesn't matter. As long as the network is within range (and configured properly) your phone/device will connect to it. If it isn't working there is something wrong with the network configuration. 

Well it seems to matter. The location of the WiFi hotspot on the apps map is wrong. So it thinks I am to far away to connect.. and thus won't even try.

The app just tells me to get closer to the marker and it will connect on its own. If you look up on the VM site where the hot spots are and find Travelodge alwalton Peterborough you'll see the hot spot marker is not even on the hotel like it should be. It's about 300m up the road north of the hotel.

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

As others have said the hotspot map on the connect app is just a guide.

Ability to use the Virgin Media hotspot depends on the Connect app being correctly set up and the hotspot being online.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I haven't used the app for some time. But I do remember the phone would connect when in range of a hotspot even if it was not on the map.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

cje85
Trouble shooter

@enlli wrote:

I haven't used the app for some time. But I do remember the phone would connect when in range of a hotspot even if it was not on the map.

Yes this is still correct. The map is just for information and doesn't affect the service. You can even turn off the Location feature on your phone so the app has no idea where you are and any VM hotspot in range will still connect.