cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin/Vodafone vs EE (an update)

archercj
Fibre optic

So on a wet weekend I decide to have a play and prove the drop in speed since the switchover to Virgin/Vodafone.

Scenario:

I have a static caravan in a rural location next to the North Sea. I wanted decent 4G coverage so I could ‘work from home’ when I am there. This meant a good connection for things like remote connection and Teams meetings. Sadly the 4G coverage was poor with the Virgin/EE SIM – around 4-6Mbs. So I invested in an Archer MR600 router that could take a SIM so I could tether. With its own aerials the speed increased to around 10-14Mbs. Still I reckoned I could do better so I invested in a directional 4G aerial. What a difference – the Virgin/EE SIM gave me 40-65Mbs. More than happy.

So then the new SIM arrived. The result - Virgin/Vodafone dropped to speeds of 4-8Mbs with the exact same setup.

Testing:

Firstly I know that speeds can vary due to factors such as weather, location, equipment used, time of day and the actual test mechanism. All these were standard in the tests I tried. Also when I bought the 4G aerial it comes with a site survey so I know exactly where the mast is to point it at (and that it provides Vodafone and EE coverage)

I bought an EE SIM and stuck a little data on it. The test I used was the inbuilt one on the Archer MR600. Result – speeds between 60-75Mbs,

Switched to the Virgin/Vodafone SIM. Results – speeds of around 8-14Mbs.

I cannot improve on those speeds and often it’s around 4-6Mbs BUT if I switch to the EE SIM I get speeds of 60-75Mbs when all factors (time of day, weather etc) are the same

I also tried moving the aerial as the site survey had shown two other Vodafone aerials (although further away). I wondered if they might be less congested. Sadly I couldn’t get anything above 7Mbs.

Conclusions:

I know testing isn’t an exact science but I also know several people nearby that are with either Virgin or Vodafone and are experiencing the same speed issues and also several EE subscribers that don’t have issues with streaming etc.

Very frustrating when I had a service with the Virgin/EE setup that EXCEEDED all expectations yet now am struggling to be able to work from that location

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I've searched a number of addresses at that location and it looks like EE is the only one that has good coverage.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

13 REPLIES 13

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The only option is to move suppliers. I've been 3 years with Vodafone and never experienced low speeds across the UK but I could be lucky I guess. At home EE and 3 are a definite no. So you have to go with the one that gives the best signal / speeds where you spend most of your time.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

I agree with you BUT my frustration is that everything was fine and I was 'lucky' as the Virgin SIM is included within my Oomph package so theoretically 'free'.

To move will mean a monthly outlay of around £40 for an unlimited EE data contracted which i can do without seeing as my energy bill has just risen from £140pm to £320pm and it takes an extra £20 to fill up the car.

Hi @archercj,

Welcome back to our community forums and sorry to hear you are having issues with your data speeds since the switchover.

We can understand the inconvenience caused and we want to best help.

Just to confirm, do you only get this coverage in that specific area or this issue occurs in multiple areas? Has this been ongoing since changing sim? You may find the following link useful https://www.virginmedia.com/mobile/coverage-checker.

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

I only use the Virgin SIM in this area (post code HU18 1EL) and as my post states the issue only started AFTER the SIM change i.e Virgin/EE to Virgin/Vodafone and has been ongoing since the change

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I've searched a number of addresses at that location and it looks like EE is the only one that has good coverage.

In this case, please try the following link and let me know if it helps https://devicesupport.virginmedia.com/?

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Cheers enlli. I'm aware of that.

Akua

I have tested it in a couple of devices. The one I did the test with wont be supported as it's an Archer MR600 router BUT my own mobile is a OnePlus and it is the same in that.

The underlying issue that your company needs to have the decency to own up to (and one which is shown in the multitude of posts on this forum reporting the same issue) is that since the switch from Virgin/EE to Virgin/Vodafone customers in SOME areas are experiencing significant performance drops.

Many will have chosen Virgin (EE) as the most price competitive and cost effective solution in their area. Now they are experiencing performance issues.

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

This is the nature of an MNVO like Virgin (ASDA have recently made the same move) The move to Vodafone has been on the cards and publicised since December 2019 with a changeover date of early 2022.

EE were restrictive in their contract not allowing 5G or access to the 800MHz LTE band. Obviously the change was a commercial / cost decision.

Further changes are afoot as after signing a 5 year deal with Vodafone the Virgin / O2 merger came along. It now appears Virgin have given Vodafone notice and a further change to O2 seems likely before the end of five years.

Doesn't help your situation but there is no going back to EE,  and with them being the only decent service at that postcode an offer for you to go on a Volt package will be a none started too.

Catch 22