cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin Roaming not working on iphone in India

milindshanak
Joining in

Hi,

This is the second time I travelled to India in 3 months I have faced same issue with Virgin Roaming. First time though I had not enable roaming before leaving UK. 
However this time I have enabled roaming before leaving and I tried to follow iphone specific steps but cannot locate anything like sim application settings in mobile data. 

I would really appreciate if someone can help.

Thanks,

Milind

25 REPLIES 25

Megan_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Milindshanak,

Thanks for using the forums to get this issue with your roaming services looked into, I am sorry if this has been causing some frustration. I would be more than happy to look into this for you. 

I firstly want to just pop this link here which has loads of helpful information about roaming which may help you 👉 Roaming Abroad 

Can I ask if you've tried rebooting your handset? 

Are there any error messages that are appearing when you try to use for mobile?

Thanks,

Megan_L

Hi Megan,

I have followed the link and set all options correctly more than a week in advance of international travel (India). I have restarted my phone multiple times but this has not resolved the issue. I also tried manually selecting network to all choices and restarted my phone but this too has not worked. Would really appreciate a resolution that will work.

Thanks,

Milind

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Try this

For iOS:
Select Settings from the Home Screen
Select Phone Icon
Select SIM Applications
Select Roaming
Select Select mode
Select Manual
Select International and you are done, go back Home screen to retry

To change back when returning to the UK:
It is critical that you set the SIM roaming applet back to Automatic mode once in the Uf Settings > Mobile Data > Sim applications
Select SIM Applications
Select Roaming
Select Select mode
Select National - you are done, go back to Home screen

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi Milind, 

Thanks for coming back to me about this, I am sorry no fixes have worked for you so far. 

How long are you in India for if you don't mind me asking? 

As you're abroad at the moment, any changes that we make on our side may not take affect until you're back on our home network. 

Please let me know.

Thanks,

Megan_L

Hi enlli,

I noticed that the Sim Application option was missing ( as stated by Milindshanak ) yesterday whilst trying to fixed the well known "reformatted contact numbers" problem and submitted a post containing a screenshot illustrating the lack of the option, here is a link, 

Sim Application option missing - Virgin Media Community - 5239361

I posted a question on the Apple Support Community, a senior member advised that the provision of options is down to the carrier, i.e ,Virgin. My son's iPhone 13 with a " proper" O2 sim doesn't have a Sim Application option either, but then his phone works ok when roaming unlike phones with Virgin sims. There is no reference to the option being removed by an Apple software update.

Regards

Dave

Good Morning @Smoggy239, thanks for your post on our Community Forums.

Is this issue you report in relation to using your handset in India also?

If so, I'd be intrigued to know if any restrictions are on the account that prevent you from using the device in non-EU countries, where additional charges would be incurred.

Kindest regards,

David_Bn 

Hi David_bn,

I'm in England at the moment, when roaming in Majorca in July and October last year my wife and I had to go through the procedure detailed by enlli in order to get a Network connection. My point was that the Sim Application option is now missing from Settings/Mobile Data on my wife's and my iPhone, milindshanak could not find it either, so how are customers supposed to get service when roaming ? 

Regards, DaveVirgin .jpg

Thanks @Smoggy239, so just to confirm, were you able to obtain the services whilst Roaming in Majorca, or was this restricted?

Were you able to try any non-Virgin Mobile sim cards in the handset to see if the option then appeared?

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

Hi David_Bn,

The missing Sim Application option is something that I noticed recently when my contacts were reformatted and I was fixing the problem (until next time), it was available and needed to be used when in Majorca to obtain service. There were no restrictions just the well documented "unable to hear on incoming calls when roaming, something which Virgin Mobile are still "looking in to ". Can't hear international calls - Page 5 - Virgin Media Community - 5018195 . You seem to be missing the point that the standard reply to being unable to get service when roaming (as detailed by enlli) is

For iOS:
Select Settings from the Home Screen
Select Phone Icon
Select SIM Applications
Select Roaming
Select Select mode
Select Manual
Select International and you are done, go back Home screen to retry

To change back when returning to the UK:
It is critical that you set the SIM roaming applet back to Automatic mode once in the Uf Settings > Mobile Data > Sim applications
Select SIM Applications
Select Roaming
Select Select mode
Select National - you are done, go back to Home screen

If the option is missing, how can customers get service when roaming?

Regards

Dave