cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin Mobile to O2 SIM switch

kered10
Tuning in

I am a longstanding Virgin Media customer and started using Virgin Mobile about a year ago, successfully porting my number from GiffGaff, so I am familiar with the PAC code process.

Yesterday, VM called me out of the blue and offered me a new deal which was suitable, but it included sending me a new SIM for O2.

My impression on the phone was that I should just swap the SIM, and they were organising the porting of my number.

However, reading posts here, it seems that most people have to request a PAC from Virgin and give it to O2. I am quite happy to do that, but I don't want to mess things up, and especially, I don't want to get mixed up in extra charges for leaving Virgin Mobile!

What is the right way to approach this?

Thanks,

Derek

8 REPLIES 8

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I wouldn't trust Virgin CS to get anything right.

Personally, I would request a PAC code. If CS have done that the request will fail as you can't have two requests outstanding. 

If they haven't you have got your code.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey @kered10 thanks for reaching out to us and a warm welcome to the Virgin Media forums.

We appreciate you bringing this to our attention 🙂
Please speak with our Virgin Mobile team on 0345 600 0789 and they will be able to get you the PAC code.
Once you have that PAC code, please ring O2 on 0344 809 0202 and they will be able to port your number over.
We don't do it automatically you see, though we have merged, O2's systems are still not integrated with ours so we need to go through this method.
Let us know how it goes.

Kind regards,
Ilyas.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

kered10
Tuning in

Thanks for the replies, I think I have successfully migrated to O2 - I did request a PAC code by text from Virgin Mobile then put the O2 SIM in my phone to let me phone O2 to give them the PAC code. Their rep suggested I put my Virgin SIM back in my phone and await two texts from O2 that my number port was successful. It didn't quite work that way, but fairly painless. About 28 hours later, my phone with the Virgin SIM stopped working "emergency calls only" which was a clear prompt to switch to the O2 SIM. After that I did get various texts from O2 explaining stuff.

Next, I've got to trawl through some more messages on the forum to work out how to transfer my Netflix subscription from paying it myself to it being included in my Virgin Bundle. The Virgin sales person who cold-called me last week said they'd email me a link but that hasn't happened. I'm getting the impression I have to cancel my own Netflix sub and let it lapse at the end of the payment period, then log in again via Virgin. But I'll do a bit more digging before I do that and try and make sure I don't end up making any mistakes.

Derek

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for the update regarding this,

So to clarify has your number transferred? 

Also is Netflix now bundled in your package?

Regards,

Kain

Thanks, yes my number has ported. 

My Netflix subscription was previously not through Virgin, but the new bundle includes Netflix, and I thought I was going to be sent an email link to switch from me paying the Netflix by direct debit, to the same account being included in the bundle. My new contract is clear that it's included, it's just the changeover so that I'm not paying a separate Netflix DD that I haven't quite worked out yet.

Derek

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for the response,

So you wouldn't need to cancel the Netflix subscription however you should receive an activation email, from there ensure the steps are followed correctly with the same email registered.

Regards,

Kain

No email was received, but this morning I phoned VM and spoke with Alok. He took me to part of the MyVM site where there was a button to activate Netflix. I had to change from Premium to Standard, but it appears to have been successful. I'll just have to look out for the monthly payment and make sure there stops being one for Netflix and the VM one remains correct.

Thanks for the advice.

Derek

Thanks for coming back to us kered10 and I'm glad that you have been able to get your Netflix account activated. 

Please let us know if you have any further issues.

Kind Regards,

Steven_L