cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin Mobile switching to O2 - "What changes will I see?"

HmmmUK
Up to speed

Hi all,
I don't visit the forum very often - but do pop in every now and again to take a look at on-going bits.
A family member got caught out when PAYG stopped as they didn't receive any notification - so I now look at the forum for news like this.

It looks like the switch to O2 is getting a few mentions...
I hadn't realised this had started - but looking at some posts it looks like it has.

Can anyone say how I will know if I've switched to O2? Will the phone still show as 'Virgin'?

I've found this info: https://www.virginmedia.com/help/mobile/your-move-to-o2
It mentions getting "unlimited data" - that sounds good - any catches, is it for real???

Thanks.

25 REPLIES 25

HmmmUK
Up to speed

Reading some more - I see that it is either "double the data or unlimited".

Hi HmmmUK,

Thanks for posting 🙂

In February 2023, we'll start contacting Virgin Mobile customers who'll be the first to move over to O2 mobile plans, and the switch will happen in March 2023.

We'll continue to move customers over to O2 mobile plans throughout the year, and by the end of 2023 all existing and newly joined Virgin Mobile customers will have been moved to O2 plans.

O2 doesn't offer data rollover or data-free messaging on WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger or Twitter. However, we'll go one better and at least double your data allowance (unless you already have unlimited data), so you have extra data every month just like rollover gave you.

Alex_RM

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Will be interesting to see what happens to those that have a free Oomph SIM

And what happens to Volt when people are moved. Do moving Virgin Mobile customers get Volt Benefits on their Brodadband?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi Alex, thanks for the reply.
Some of the posts read as if some customers are already using the O2 network - has that happened for everyone?
Different than the O2 plans switch I appreciate.

I've realised I'm on a very uncompetitive Virgin plan after 20+ years with you and not switching around 😞
I would be interested in switching to your 5GB + Unlimited calls/texts for £6pm shown here: https://www.virginmedia.com/mobile/sim-only/pay-monthly-sim?contractDuration=30&tariffID=1125955642 

But in my VM account when I try to 'change plan' I am only shown plans that costs MUCH more?! Any help appreciated...

Hi HmmmUK,

we're currently using the Virgin network 🙂 

We're happy to go through what deals are best for you, you can call us on 789/ 0345 600 0789 and the team will be able to go through options with you.

Alex_Rm

cje85
Trouble shooter

Is that a mistake? There is no "Virgin" network, it's a virtual network running on O2. The name on the phone will show "Virgin" but the underlying network is O2.

All customers were moved to O2's network by the end of last year and will soon be moved to O2 plans.

Mr_Mike
On our wavelength

The bit I don't get is that on  'native O2' there are no plans offering anywhere near the value of Virgin's plans.  On Virgin, I pay £9 a month for 25GB data and unlimited calls/SMS, and if I don't like anything, it's only a 30day termination period.  The closest current O2 plan costs almost 3x that much, for only 20GB of data.  Will the migrated Virgin customers have access to special deals, or will O2 start to offer plans at this sort of pricing level to all customers?

I think if I was an existing O2 customer, I'd be pretty peeved that my network was clogged up by 3m new subscibers, virtually all of whom are paying substantially less for their contracts.

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The network has been clogged for years, but yes, adding 3 million Virgin Subscribers has thrown it over the edge. 

O2 lack bandwidth (locally O2 offer 10MB whilst Vodafone offer 25MB) Lots of areas showing congestion and the number is growing. 

It will take a massive effort to sort it out and I don't believe there is the will to do so

As to customers being on cheaper tariffs I think that will be temporary, many now are on 30 days and others will run out at which point I suspect there will be a forced change.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi @Mr_Mike

Thank you for your post and welcome back to our community.

With regards to your concern around the Tariff price, you'll either pay the same or less for your airtime tariff when you move to O2.

There is more information here for you. 

Vikki - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide