Menu
london-david
Tuning in
Message 1 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Mobile compared to EE

Hi

I'm presently on an EE Max plan and considering switching to Virgin Mobile as they seem to offer more for less. I have a few questions that I'd like to put out to the Virgin Mobile community.

My questions are:

1. When roaming in the EU do you get 4G or does it switch to 3G only? I nearly chose a Three plan yesterday until I phoned their support and found whilst they offer great roaming services, you are only connected to a 3G service for all countries.

2. Does Virgin Mobile use both EE bandwidths? EE tell me this gives them the edge over their competitors in speed. Could anyone confirm if Virgin Mobile offer the same benefit?

3. Are there any restrictions when tethering (Personal Hotspot) whether at home or abroad.

4. Are there any download or upload restrictions whilst roaming?

Thanks for your help 

D

0 Kudos
teabag
Superstar
Message 2 of 21
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Virgin Mobile compared to EE

Can only really put forward that if something is cheaper - there is usually a reason !!

1: should be 4g in most countries.

2: Virgin do not have access to EE's band 20 (800MHz), so there is no VOLTE, also no WiFi calling on Virgin.

3: No tethering restrictions in UK, for EU you have a FUP - see below.

4: EU roaming will be subject to the Fair Use Policy, for data you can work out usage with this calculator  https://store.virginmedia.com/FUP-Calculator.html

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only. Customer since 1993.
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 21
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Depends what you want. If it is a simple phone service with data and roaming OK. If you need some of the bells and whistes that only a full network can give you then no.

Virgin do not have access to EE's 800Mhz band which means coverage will not be the same as 800MHz has a better range and in building penetrtion

You also do not have access to Voice over Wifi or Voice over LTE. Voice over wifi is very useful in poor signal situations.

4G Roaming yes. but watch out Roaming has to be activated by you and it does not always work. (Search the site for roaming)

Tethering Yes

There are restrictions on data used  roaming but I'm unable to look them up at the moment

There are a few other things that don't work on Virgin - Call forwarding is the most complained about

london-david
Tuning in
Message 4 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Hi

Thanks for your reply.

Please could you let me know what VOLTE is?

Many thanks for your help.

David

0 Kudos
paulchambers061
Problem sorter
Message 5 of 21
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

voice over lte, aka 4g calling

london-david
Tuning in
Message 6 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the link and answers. I was surprised that the Virgin Mobile deal offering 120GB has a fair usage policy that worked out around 8GB when in the EU!!! EE presently allow me 15GB out my 20GB allowance to use in the EU with 4G reception.
0 Kudos
teabag
Superstar
Message 7 of 21
Flag for a moderator

I know it is still low, but the allowance for that SIM deal in the EU would be 9.61GB, it is worked out on the full price of the SIM £23  - and not the special discounted price of £20.

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos
happywithmy350
Well-informed
Message 8 of 21
Flag for a moderator

@london-david wrote:

Hi

I'm presently on an EE Max plan and considering switching to Virgin Mobile as they seem to offer more for less. I have a few questions that I'd like to put out to the Virgin Mobile community.

My questions are:

1. When roaming in the EU do you get 4G or does it switch to 3G only? I nearly chose a Three plan yesterday until I phoned their support and found whilst they offer great roaming services, you are only connected to a 3G service for all countries.

2. Does Virgin Mobile use both EE bandwidths? EE tell me this gives them the edge over their competitors in speed. Could anyone confirm if Virgin Mobile offer the same benefit?

3. Are there any restrictions when tethering (Personal Hotspot) whether at home or abroad.

4. Are there any download or upload restrictions whilst roaming?

Thanks for your help 

D

Hi - I was on the same plan with EE I was paying £68 for 100GB - I moved to Virgin Mobile - and whilst I no longer get 250mbps + I do find that the service is exactly what the price reflects - and it's FANTASTIC!

I ordered on Black Friday and I get 200GB  5000 mins and Ultd SMS for £20 a month with rollover - I seem to get much more than I have left so this month I got 300GB rather than the 255GB I should have had - speed wise, I get a constant 70/40 wherever I go - I really can not grumble at that. Every call I make has the HD logo on it - things are nice and clear.  I don't use facebook but Messenger is free apparently. I do use Whatsapp and being able to talk , and send and get videos without chewing into my allowance is amazing. I've ran my allowance down a day before reset and tested this, and it works as advertised.

Remember an EE locked phone won't work on VM - had to be unlocked.

If I had 1 complaint about VM, it would be this (and it's not really a complaint just a bug for me) for every 1 minute I use, I get 2 mins deducted. not sure why - but even calls for 58 seconds get the same result. It means it's only 2500 mins a month, but who uses calls these days? 

In a nutshell, I would never go back to EE or any of the other providers, I'm happy to have this deal for as long as VM are happy to supply it - my current discounts run out in 2099 so that's as lifetime as it gets. 

Go for it - you won't regret it I am sure. 

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Community elder
Message 9 of 21
Flag for a moderator

My hesitation in switching to Virgin Mobile is roaming as I make regular visits to places such as Trinidad, Guyana, Barbados and Grenada, and I've found that MVNOs such as giffgaff and PlusNet do not provide coverage in each country despite what their websites may say.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
japitts
Super solver
Message 10 of 21
Flag for a moderator

@Roger_Gooner wrote:

My hesitation in switching to Virgin Mobile is roaming as I make regular visits to places such as Trinidad, Guyana, Barbados and Grenada, and I've found that MVNOs such as giffgaff and PlusNet do not provide coverage in each country despite what their websites may say.

Whether you're in the "MVNO are cheap, therefore good" or "main networks are worth paying extra for" schools of thought, situations like this are so hard to resolve at the time if you're caught out. It's very easy to say "sorry it didn't work" when you're back from such countries, it's also the amount of support you're likely to be able to access when and where you need it.

Another poster asked what VoLTE/4G calling is. Historically, 4G didn't carry voice calls only data and texts - with a 4G phone dropping back to 2G or 3G for voice calls. MVNOs and resellers pretty much still work this way, and for most people it probably doesn't matter. There's a much better user experience when you use 4G for voice calls, but the biggie as that EE now use the 800Mhz frequency band for 4G voice service that is restricted to EE & BT Mobile VoLTE (Voice Over LTE/4G) users. This band is better at covering rural and indoor areas, so with various technical caveats it does introduce coverage areas in some locations that aren't available otherwise. There are ways of checking if this would be an issue to you.