cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin 4G switched onto Vodafone network

JoeKing1VM
Superfast

Provider Virgin, Network Vodafone since 5th Feb 2021 4G LTE.
I've been with Virgin mobile for over 6 years and my billing address I've always had maximum signal strength on all my devices be it Android or Apple all devices are 4G and 4G-A (4+G) when it was EE network.
Leading up to the first week in Feb I noticed call issues in/out going things like someone be calling me but yet it would not ring on my end nor would I have any notification on said calls, likewise if I made out going calls. Also I would suffer drop calls or even calls answered but you I could hear the caller and they could not hear me. The calls would sometime cut off within secs. I would then have to make several attempts to make an out going call, or give up and receive and make out going calls on my business number which is an O2 number.

Now if that was not enough my data speeds were always at the high end while on EE and would take a few sec to download a file of 60MB day or night. I've alway done speed test while on EE and more so while on my Virgin number now using the Vodafone network.

Since the 5th February when I knew I was now switched onto the Vodafone network after doing speed test I was so shocked.
Sorry this is very long by I shall try and give a short version so not to bore you all.
My strength signal has dropped by 2 bars while now using Vodafone my download speed most of the time is less then a 1Mbs to 3 Mbs if I'm lucky, upload 0 to 2Mbs.
Not matter the time of day or night I can't streaming without buffering or freezing.
There are times which is very randomly I get 50Mbs to 200+Mbs download while on 4G and 4+G all at my billing address.
I have called customer service from 8th Feb 2021 and customer support tried to tell me its my device (really all 6 of them). I had done everything the customer support asked of me even a sim swap to the new Red 5G sim (I had the purple one before swap) Friday 12 Feb I had enough and Technically Support dealing with the problems. That Friday they said let's try and disconnect you from network and then reconnect me back which they did this is on the new sim.
Tec support on the 13th Feb ask me to collect some data in a 24 period before calling back to give this information in. Which I did on the 15 Feb and also on the 16 Feb.
On the 16th Feb I was speaking to a agent on 789 and said I have some data for Tec Support and a case number which has to be given to them within a 24 hour period.
This agent basically was very rude and told me, we've done everything if you don't like it go else where.
Now today Thursday 18 February 2021, 2 weeks into this network problem and I'm still paying for my monthly fee, which I can't really use as advertised still at a loss with Virgin.
Now as told by Virgin others customers are experiencing the same or similar problems as me.
My Virgin number is my main and personal number and I've missed calls for important events.
While I love to have my calls working as they should and my Data speeds back in the much higher end instead of my regular 1 to 2 or 3Mbs download I can't see this happening any time soon.
Location is North London and still waiting and waiting..

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hmm interesting, as mentioned Vodafone and O2 now share mast sites and equipment in most cases and this is also applied to Three and EE.

The Giggitty 1

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

23 REPLIES 23

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Is there a reason you can't go elsewhere that uses EE?

Yes cost and package that I'm currently on. While the problem with Virgin Mobile / Vodafone I'm willing for them to fix this known problem.. They broke it they need to fix it.

@JoeKing1VM wrote:

Yes cost and package that I'm currently on. While the problem with Virgin Mobile / Vodafone I'm willing for them to fix this known problem.. They broke it they need to fix it.

I will advise you that the issue won't be fixing itself anytime soon.

It's not exactly a fault, its merely a coverage issue.

There's a reason EE costs more to use as a network, and there is a reason Virgin took their business to Vodafone's network and to be honest with the fact of O2 being the next move I can't see it getting much better as it stands.

The Giggitty 1

unisoft
Well-informed

Also getting issues with people calling me ever since changeover.

People ring they cant hear me, only occasional call they can.

If I ring them,they hear everytime. Put another SIM like O2 in phone and its fine.

Purple SIM here, worked 100% fine on EE.

No wifi calling option either on Xiaomi 10T Lite 5G phone (all UK bands).

Data speed absolutely apalling compared to EE as well.

@unisoft wrote:

No wifi calling option either on Xiaomi 10T Lite 5G phone (all UK bands).

WiFi calling is determined by Virgin and not EE/Vodafone, Virgin seem to have much stricter compatibility when it comes to WiFi calling

The Giggitty 1

@unisoft I feel your pain unlike yourself all my devices are 4G and worked fine with the Purple sim. You need to call CS (customer service) and report said problem there something definitely going on as it is happening on O2 network be it O2 or Tesco mobile and spread across the UK. 

I was even told that I can't be on Vodafone as my device are 4G therefore I should be still on EE by agents on customer services, work that one out.. 

But Technically Support are dealing with this problem has it hit and miss for the best part of today I thought it had been fixed.. Hell no data speed dropped down to  0Mbs to 3 sometime 4Mbs if I'm lucky call issues still there.. 

But I advise you to ask CS to transfer you to Technical Support best times if this works for you is 8am to 11am.

They ask you times and phone numbers of the problem calls. 

Good luck. 

Update of slow data speeds and drop calls or other related call problems as of 20 Feb 2021 9am to 9.30am.
After an hour to customer service reading my notes and not listening to what I was telling her, she finally put me through to Technical support (faults) after an hour.
Spoke with an agent that actually knew what he was talking about.

As he stated be it Customer service or the Technical support team should be telling customers they Virgin Media are aware of the slow data speeds be it 4G or 5G and are dealing with it. They were informed on the 9th Feb 2021 on this problem.

The bad news is there is no time frame to which this will be resolved. However Virgin Media should be building tickets (work orders) for customers that have No Data Connection.

Now the drop calls and contact not being able to reach you even that its ringing there end and not yours plus any other call example will and should be worked on once reported.

Finally someone in Virgin Media that actually knows their job and listen to the customer thanks Mick @ Tec Support.
But customer need to continue reporting and fighting their case.

More so Virgin Media should make it publicly known via broadcast TV, emails to their customers that the migration from EE to Vodafone has not gone smoothly and there are some technical problems on going.

Just thought I share my experience. 

Joe

@JoeKing1VM wrote:

More so Virgin Media should make it publicly known via broadcast TV, emails to their customers that the migration from EE to Vodafone has not gone smoothly and there are some technical problems on going.

Technical issues affect customers and services of all sorts everyday, one company isn't about to put its marketing down the toilet over the usual spout of technical issues, the fact that the company has changed its wholesaler don't mean it screwed up, it means the gaining company has some problems to fix.

Also just to clear up the usual me me me culture that's seems to echo these days, your not the only customer, you have choices on who to use and what don't suit yo obviously suits a whole lot of other people.

I know of a lot of Virgin Mobile customers who just got the opportunity to now and soon get coverage in places they currently don't as they are now getting access to lower range of frequencies and a network that in their area outperforms and is better situated than the previous.

The Giggitty 1

@JitteryPinger I'm fully aware I'm not the only customer on here or with Virgin Mobile, at no point did I state this. And your reaction about me, me is far from a postive input.

Now the forum is here to help others make friends etc, by me putting my experiences across is a valid point. By you saying we all have a choice I'm once again fully aware of this and are most on here. 

Once again I'm making my issue know to other's and what I don't need are remarks like your. 

Without you knowing my full problem and what I have been instructed to do by Virgin customer service and technical team over the week's is one thing.

Once again I'm trying to help others and share my experience be it good or bad in your view or mine. 

Now have yourself a good day. 

Joe